My perfected dry, sensitive skincare routine

A+collage+of+skincare+products.+
Pinterest
A collage of skincare products.

When I was younger, a common question I was asked by my fellow peers was, “What is that weird stuff on your face?”

Internally, I was always deeply offended by this question, but considering the natural curiosity of children, no one ever said this with bad intent. 

The “weird stuff on my face” was simply dry skin that was flaking off due to my eczema. Dry skin has been a battle for me my entire life. I remember my parents chasing me around when I was younger after a bath, so they could put lotion on me. I never wanted to get the lotion applied because of how bad it stung. Obviously, it was in my best interest to be doused in lotion, but my younger mind did not understand that, so after my parents would win the battle with the lotion, I would secretly take a towel and wipe it all off to ease the sting I felt. 

Having dry skin is incredibly uncomfortable, so as I grew older, I started to take more precautions and overall take better care of my skin. Over the years, I have almost perfected my dry skin care routine, and here is my process.

Micellar Cleansing Water:

First, I use Micellar Cleansing Water, which can be used for all skin types. The formula is essentially just water and oil, and it works great to remove my mascara. The area around your eyes is the thinnest, most sensitive skin on your body, so a simple formula like Micellar Water works perfectly for me. My eyelids tend to become really dry, so using this gentle formula to remove my mascara before I go to bed is perfect.

CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser:

I use the CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser in the mornings and at night. The formula is very gentle, as harsher products tend to exacerbate my eczema. This cleanser has been certified by the National Eczema Association, which ensures that it is a good product for sensitive skin. In the morning, it refreshes my skin, and at night, it helps to take off my remaining makeup.

Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream & Vanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream:

The next step in my routine consists of using the Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream on my entire body, and then the Vanicream moisturizer on my face and neck. The places I have the most eczema breakouts are my face and neck, so I use the Vanicream on those areas since the formula is extra moisturizing. I apply the Cetaphil on my body only at night, but I use the Vanicream both in the mornings and at night. 

Triamcinolone:

I only use this cream occasionally, as it is a topical steroid. Some precautions have to be taken when using this cream because if it is used for prolonged periods, it can cause the skin to thin. When I am in the midst of an eczema episode, I use this cream, but I can only use it for two weeks and then do a one-week detox to ensure that none of the negative effects of the topical steroid occur. I only apply the cream on the areas that are very dry and red.

Aquaphor:

The last step in my routine is Aquaphor. I use this as a barrier for all the other products I apply on my face so nothing rubs off. This stuff has seriously saved my skin. The formula is really greasy, so I only use it at night, and when I wake up in the morning, my skin always feels very hydrated and smooth. In the winter, when my lips are extremely dry, this product also helps to rehydrate them. Aquaphor is my favorite product in my routine because it works very well, and I can always count on it to work. 

These products have transformed my skin from dry, red, and flaky to hydrated and smooth. Since I have started to really take care of my skin, the question, “What is the weird stuff on your face?” has no longer been asked.