A thank you to my family

Throughout my 17 years of life, I’ve learned many things from many people; however, I have my family to thank for a majority of those life lessons. This is a thank you to them from me for only a few things I’ve learned from them.

Mom, thank you for teaching me the intricate skill of having a refined taste in clothing. Of course this goes for having nice quality clothing, but in it I also learned to be as skeptical of people as I am of clothing. Everyone says, “Don’t judge a book by its cover,” but, sometimes, you should. Many times I’ve come across clothes that seemed like a good investment at first glance, but days later I’ve come to find out the article of clothing has already snagged and has ruined a load of laundry in the washing machine. Similarly, I’ve met people that seemed like the poster child for honesty and kindness, but something just hasn’t sat right with me. A few weeks later, and I find out they deceive and tear others down. Some may call it being cynical or judgmental to base my opinion on someone at first glance or conversation, but I call it protecting myself. You’ve taught me that trusting my instincts keeps me safe.

Dad, thank you for teaching me to mow the lawn. Ever since I can remember, you have taught me skills to use in the future. You’ve helped me to be more independent and take pride in my accomplishments. Although I still use others as a bit of a crutch in some situations, I’d like to believe that I’m getting to the point of my life when I realize just how much potential I have on my own. When I first mowed the lawn, I wouldn’t stop complaining and telling you that when I’m on my own in the future I could just pay someone to do it for me. Each time, you simply said that not everything can be paid for. You taught me that there is much more satisfaction in doing something yourself than having someone do it for you.

Ethan, Andrew, Matt, Aaron, thank you for letting me play video games with you. You have all shown me that doing things that are “just for boys” doesn’t make me weird. Growing up, I always thought I should have been embarrassed that I played video games and wrestled, but now I know that there was nothing to be ashamed of. I thoroughly believed that doing those things would make me seem gross and less of a girl to the boys I liked and girls I wanted to be friends with, but I couldn’t care less now. Although I was never able to convince any of you to play with dolls with me, I didn’t mind, because minutes later we would be sitting in front of the TV playing some video game until mom or dad called for us. You guys taught me that I shouldn’t be ashamed to act like myself.

I am eternally grateful for everything the people in my life have taught me over the course of my life so far, but I owe most of that to my family. They have given me so many powerful life lessons as I’ve grown up, and they never really realized it.

Elise Hegg, Staff Writer

Elise Hegg is a junior in her first year as a staff writer on The Central Trend. Elise has been at FHC since she started at Pine Ridge when she was five...