Freshman Max Prominski leaves an impact on FHC

Katianna Mansfield

More stories from Katianna Mansfield

I am okay now
February 16, 2018

Exploring the halls of the building, climbing and descending stairways, and entering classrooms, one will occasionally see small blue stars taped here and there with encouraging messages etched on them in colored marker: “We are here for you”, “Always loved, never forgotten”, “Stronger together”.

These stars hang in memory of one freshman, Max Prominski, who was a star to all those around him.

Max passed away December 3rd after a long battle with terminal brain cancer.

FHC was fortunate enough to have Max for the duration of his freshman year, as his parents wanted him to have as much normalcy as possible despite the circumstances. He entered the building with a smile, and he changed many lives throughout the halls.

“To me, he was just amazing,” teacher Vicki Felton said. “To come to school every day and to not feel well…he wanted to be here; this is where he wanted to be. There are so many kids that don’t want to be here, just if they understood or knew what he would’ve given to continue. I am thankful that his parents sent him so we could have the opportunity to get to know him.”

Max was known by the people he was close to as a kind heart with a positive attitude. He loved Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy, and he often had in-depth discussions with his friends about the movies and their scenes. He was always dancing, even when there was no music– and smiling. He could talk about anything and everything for as long as one was able to listen, and he did so with passion.

He knew the inner workings of life.

“He taught me that life is a lot bigger than the issues we face right now,” senior Remy Tittel said. “Whether that’s a math test or something happening to you personally, there are bigger issues out in the world. Enjoy the little things, every little thing.”

Max spent his days being happy and trying to make others happy as well.

He had a spirited demeanor and never thought once about what others would think of him, he didn’t care. He danced his way into every room.

“He made me crack out of my shell for once,” freshman Alex Wooden said. “He loved dancing, he wanted everyone to join him. I said, “Nah, I’d be terrible anyway,a�� but he just [kept] encouraging me, and so I did it. It felt great.”

FHC accommodated to Max’s schedule so that he would find success and happiness in each class. He spent lots of time with Felton and the students she teaches and went around making his impact on many of them.

Whether it be a biology project on whales, his dog Buddy, his binder of “Star Wars According to Max”, or anything there was to talk about, he talked about it with immense passion and excitement.

“Coming back from KCTC to his positivity and his laughter was the best way to end my day,” senior Dea��ja Weekley said. “He didn’t realize it, but he was teaching people to be strong.”

It was known that Max had a terminal illness and would be at school temporarily, so the people around him were prepared, but the sadness and loss are still there regardless.

Once Max’s condition got worse, he stopped attending school and spent the remainder of his time with his family.

FHC students and his relatives visited him for as long as he would have them. Remy and Dea��ja would visit him together, they would bring Star Wars shirts and talk to him, they loved to see him smile and laugh with them.

“I’m doing better, but I’m still getting through it,” freshman Joey Dixon said. “It’s getting a little better each day.”

Max’s memorial service was Tuesday, December 12, and everyone came together to remember Max and grieve.

Every day Max will be remembered throughout the halls of FHC, the walls of his home, and in every corner of the world where he touched a soul.

“Max taught me that you can really dance your way through tough times,” Remy said, “and you can fight all the way up to the end.”