Boys varsity basketball keeps hot streak alive and beats Greenville 70-39

Jake Heilman, Sports Editor in Chief

After another big performance from senior Ty George along with a complete performances from sophomore Jimmy Scholler and senior Ryan Dunn, FHC picked up its 13th consecutive win on the season. The Rangers throttled the Yellow Jackets of Greenville 70-39.

A slower start on the offensive side slowed down the early excitement for FHC. It became, however, an offensive show in the second half.

“We got off to a slow start and we weren’t hitting shots we usually make,” said Ty, who is the first person to average 20 or more points since Derek Dennis in 2009. “In the second quarter, we forced turnovers and got the offensive energy going. I don’t think it was our best but it takes a special team to put together the kind of runs we do throughout the game.”

Ty got the Ranger offense kick-started in the second quarter with 7 of the 15 points. FHC’s defense also held the Yellow Jacket attack to just 4 points in the entire 8 minute period.

The second half belonged to sophomore Jimmy Scholler. Jimmy had numerous buckets, assists, and steals that came at crucial times along with a big night on the boards.

“[Jimmy] was really efficient going to the rim,” Ty said. “He’s always looking to get everyone involved. He’s truly a complete player and that’s what we needed him to be this year. We have a lot of guys who can score or defend. He does it all.”

Jimmy led the Ranger in scoring last night with 20 points. His secondary stats, however, are what make his season so impressive to this point. He currently leads FHC in assists, rebounds, and steals. If he were to keep up this kind of success, he would be the first player in history to lead the team in all three categories in a season.

The Ranger defense had another impressive showing Friday, as they forced Greenville into 26 turnovers. FHC totaled a whopping 20 steals and a program record 16 blocks.

Senior point guard Ryan Dunn was one of the biggest contributors on the defensive end with 3 steals and 4 blocks. Ryan is also just 19 assists short of moving into the top 5 in Rangerball history in assists.

“I just thought they were being more physical than us at the start of the game,” said Ryan, who also contributed 8 points. “I knew our defense needed to step up, so I just tried to lock down their best scorer and give us a spark from my blocks and steals.”

Head coach Ken George harps on Ryan’s ability to shut down opposing threats.

“Before every game I just find their best player and I give him to Ryan,” George said. “I build everything else up from there. I don’t think he gets enough credit for how much he helps us every night defensively.”

The Rangers have two more OK White opponents this week and with two wins, they clinch a share of their fourth conference title in five years. FHC will have Cedar Springs and Lowell on the road on Tuesday and Friday of this week.

FHC has now broken numerous records as a team and individually. They are on pace to break many more after that. The Rangers are doing what they intended to do at the beginning of the year: Make History.

“I think we knew from day one that we were capable of doing big things,” said Ty, who is 67 points away from moving into the top ten point scorers in program history. “There were high expectations coming into the season and we stayed calm even with the tough start. I still think we have a lot to prove, but our goal has been to get to the Breslin and I think we have the players and coaches to do it.”

Jake Heilman, Sports Editor in Chief

Jake Heilman is now in his second year on the staff, and is taking over as the Sports Editor in Chief. He is currently looking to pursue both writing and baseball at Western Michigan University or Grand Valley State University. Jake loves to write about all sports, but football and basketball have a special spot in his writing, having played both in the past. This year, Jake has goals to bring the Central Trend to new highs in terms of overall readership, new viewers, and individual sports views.

Favorite part of FHC: The overall school pride and togetherness we bring especially when adversity is thrown in our direction.

Where you can find Jake the usual night: Training for baseball, at the football game, or hanging out with friends.

An interesting fact about Jake: Not only is he passionate about the creative journalism side, he is also great with numbers and black and white concepts.