Looking Ahead

Sam Hopkins, Staff Writer

Yes I’m still a junior, but looking forward a few years, I begin to wonder how the next chapter of life will read.  More specifically, even though I have more than a year to go, I’m beginning to look forward to college move in day.  This past weekend, I had the opportunity to visit my sister, and take in a healthy dose of college life.  Unsure of what to expect, I was pleasantly surprised with my time on campus.

College brings a major change in life, and I believe that I am getting to the point where I am ready for that change.  I’m ready to seek out the perfect roommate. I’m ready for the dorm life, living in a room with only the necessities.  I’m ready to make new friends and begin new relationships.  I’m ready for the quirky college traditions and the nine o’clock classes.  I’m ready to sit in the student section, bleeding my future university’s colors.  I’m ready to venture into the dining hall, searching for familiar faces to catch a bite. I’m ready for college life and the freedom that it has to offer.

Yes,  life right now is great, and I don’t plan on wishing it away, but I can assure you, that I am ready for all that my college experience will bring.  Truly, I believe FHC has prepared me for the experiences ahead of me, and I couldn’t imagine my first two years of high school, already completed, having gone any other way.

While excited, I’m also a tad bit nervous to leave the comfort of the Forest Hills bubble.  Embarking on a new journey in the fall of 2017, I will encounter many new situations foreign to my high school self.  Having many more opportunities, I will need to grow, learning how to better handle my newly gained freedom.

The fours years away from my close friends and family, will surely bring many memories that I look forward to experiencing.  With the opportunities to make memories, I’ll learn valuable life lessons along the way.  In order to  have another successful chapter in my book of life, it will be essential that I learn from my mistakes, become more mature, and a more sophisticated individual.

Luckily, I still have time to gain further experience while studying here in the comforting bubble of Forest Hills.  I’m not wishing my high school career away, and I sure am glad graduation doesn’t come for another year or so.  Luckily, I still have approximately 575 short high school days, until move in day arrives, and I begin to write the next chapter in my life story.

Sam Hopkins, Sports Editor

Entering his second year on staff, Sam has been given the task of leading his team of sports' reporters this upcoming year. Sam's favorite type of writing...