My letter to competitive dance

My letter to competitive dance

Morgan Mittlestadt

“…dance is a poem of which each movement is a word.” – Mata Hari.

This year, after taking my first season ever in my entire life off from you, I am once again returning into your welcoming arms.

To be honest, I did not completely despise my break away from you last season, but as you know, leaving you was not exactly my choice. However, I chose to dig deep and find the positives of losing you, which I believe helped me deal with temporarily losing a part of myself. I always kept in mind that I would possibly have the opportunity to come back to you once again, since for most of last season, the chances of being able to return to you were uncertain.

Unfortunately, I was a much better dancer before I left you, and doubts regarding not being able to obtain the skills, technique, and passion that I once had constantly creep through the back of my mind like a vicious predator silently approaching its prey.

I can confess that I am scared to finally go back to you.

I am scared to not have actually rediscovered the passion for you that I thought I did throughout my break. I am scared that I will be too stressed with schoolwork to be as focused on you as I should be. I am scared that I will choose school over you one too many times and decrease my chances of regaining what I once had even further.

I am scared to disappoint my parents, since they pay so much money to allow me to be able to participate in you. I am scared to finish this year disappointed in myself, feeling like I did not give as much as I could to you when I absolutely needed to. I am scared that I will care too much about both the good and the bad scores I will get and that I will let those scores define me as a dancer. I am scared that at the end of this season, I will not feel thankful that I returned to what I think of as one of my biggest passions.

Most of all, I am scared to feel as if I wasted my own time away and that I will realize this as the final award is being announced at nationals in June.

However, I am determined to try as hard as I possibly can to make a comeback.

I am determined to take risks and push myself to my absolute limits. I am determined to embrace the late nights I will have to experience because I was too busy being dedicated to you and had to postpone my homework. I am determined to make my parents and myself proud. I am determined to practice my dances in order to perfect them.

Finally, I am determined to be an even better dancer than I was at my absolute best.

Lastly, competitive dance, I would like to thank you.

Thank you for being something I can express myself through. Thank you for being a pathway to the amazing friends I have made throughout my time at four different studios. Thank you for pushing me and helping me realize that I am capable of a lot more than I think I am. Thank you for giving me ten seasons of blood, sweat, and tears.

I could not be more excited to start my eleventh season with you soon.

Morgan Mittlestadt, Staff Writer

Morgan Mittlestadt is entering her first year on staff for The Central Trend. She dances for the FHC Varsity Dance Team as well as Imprint Dance Company....

1 Comment

One Response to “My letter to competitive dance”

1. lynlee derrick on October 8th, 2018 12:22 pm

love this!!

• My letter to competitive dance

Inside the Classroom #5 – Traditions and trends

• My letter to competitive dance

A legacy or a loss?

• My letter to competitive dance

The tale of a tower

• My letter to competitive dance

My biggest dream is ruining my life

• My letter to competitive dance

Time waits for no one

• My letter to competitive dance

My paradoxical relationship with school

• My letter to competitive dance

Comics are important

• My letter to competitive dance

Chasing Inspiration

• My letter to competitive dance

Outside the School #4: Alabama mall shooting, Apple in the Supreme Court, and more

• My letter to competitive dance

A place to sit

My letter to competitive dance