• BREAKING NEWS: Last day of school is 6/7 with no days to be added

• Senior graduation: 5/21 at 7 p.m.

Girls varsity tennis suffers tough losses in first quad of the year

Girls varsity tennis went to Midland Dow on Wednesday to compete in a quad against Dow, Seaholm, and Traverse City Central; the Rangers went 0-3 on the day but put up a tough fight against TCC. Freshman Libby Moog played well at 1 singles in the first varsity matches of her career, and 3 doubles, consisting of junior Courtney Fox and senior Myah Leavenworth, beat TCC and had chances to win against Dow and Seaholm.

The singles lineup won 2 matches on the day—both against TCC. Libby won 6-2, 6-3, and junior Andrea Wang won at 2 singles 6-1, 6-0. Both played outstanding, making few errors and running their opponent around the court. These 2 wins, including Courtney and Myah beating TCC, made the overall score against TCC 5-3, with the Rangers losing. Although the Rangers lost 5 matches, 4 of them came in the ten-point tiebreak third set.

Against Dow and Seaholm, the Rangers lost every match, but 1 doubles, seniors Katie McClure and Lyndsay Werkema, and 3 doubles played close matches both times.

Although the Rangers got fourth, it showed glimpses of breaking through before they compete in their conference matches. Next up, the Rangers play against Northview, which will be their first conference match of the year.