Security guard Steve Yonker abides under one goal: to keep everyone safe

Security guard [Steve] Yonker has been a part of the high school staff for just a brief two years. Yet within those two years, he believes he’s experienced a lifetime supply of cherishable memories that FHC has brought him.

One memory that will forever stand out to Yonker was the Ranger Rumble. FHC’s first-ever Ranger Rumble was held just last year; it was an event to kickoff homecoming week, and brought all of the Central feeder schools and junior high buildings together as a district under one objective: to celebrate.

“A moment at FHC [I’ll always remember] was the Ranger Rumble last year,” Yonker said. “Just how the whole Ranger community came together [from] Kindergarten to [seniors] to celebrate being Rangers.”

Prior to FHC, Yonker had worked at many other schools—one being West Ottawa High School. Within his past circulation of schools—and all of the activities or events they’ve held—for him, the Ranger Rumble has continued to top everything.

“I have never been a part of anything like that in [my] eleven years of working in schools.” Yonker said. 

Yonker has adored FHC since the minute of his arrival, and events like the Ranger Rumble enhance that pride of being a Ranger more and more everyday. 

As a security guard, Yonker abides under one main goal: to keep everyone safe. 

“[I] keep students and staff safe,” Yonker said, “[and] also make sure everyone is doing what they are supposed to when in the building and [bring] help [to] where needed throughout the school day.”

He decided to begin his journey working at FHC after hearing about a job opening from his former co-worker Mark Davies. Since then, he has looked forward to coming to work every single day for his two years here.

“It is a great school in a great community with a wonderful staff.” Yonker said. 

He overall enjoys how he helps benefit the hundreds of students here stay in line. 

“Making sure everyone is safe [is a priority],” Yonker said.”And [I] make sure [that] if students [are] struggling with other issues—inside or outside the building—are addressed.”

Yonker likes how interactive his occupation is and how he is lended the opportunity everyday to meet and interact with all freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors. He enjoys getting to know the kids from personal experiences.

Aside from being a security guard, he has three other jobs: an umpire for baseball games, a coach for 7th and 8th grade football, and being a Dad. 

He has twin three-year-old girls and a six-year-old son who is actually a non-verbal autistic. For that reason, he attends Ottawa Area Center for learning. And, of course, his wife [Kim] Yonker. 

Even with an ever changing schedule, he always makes sure to designate time for family. Within his free time, as said before, Yonker admires sports, and coaches and umpires both football and baseball games. 

In regards to COVID-19, in actuality, Yonkers’ job hasn’t been altered much by the virus. Of course, it changes his work day scheduling, but other than that, he just goes with the flow. However, he does feel strongly about putting a crucial message out there about masks.

“Wearing a mask is important,” Yonker said. “[It] keeps [students] and others healthy, so that no one brings [Coronavirus] home to someone that it could severely affect.”

Despite his strong feelings about COVID-19 and how crucial it is to wear a mask, in a way, Yonker is negatively affected because of the lack of socialization he gets.

“A negative is when kids are not in the building, I don’t get to interact with the students,” Yonker said.

His occupation is based upon the interaction and protection of students, so when more and more students are being sent to quarantine, it limits his happiness level because of the less time spent doing what he loves.

Looking past the altercations of this school year caused by the pandemic, Yonkers’ past two years here at the building have been grand—and just what he’d wanted: the uncertainty of the upcoming school day.

“What I love about my job is [that] it changes everyday,” Yonker said, “and [I] never know what [I’m] going to walk into when [I] get [to] school in the morning.”