The Central Trend is more than just a newspaper to me

Me in my favorite classroom, room 139, with my favorite teacher, Mr. George.

Arpita Das

There are certain moments in my life that I wish I could just erase from existence and other moments that I wish I could relive again and again. But what makes memories so special isn’t what actually happens in the heat of the moment, but rather who you choose to experience those moments with. 

When I first started writing for the school newspaper, I barely knew anyone. I would see people in my grade and would wave at them in the hallway, but at that point, my mind was so fixated on the idea that there simply just wasn’t enough room for me in this school and that I wouldn’t “fit in.”

What makes memories so special isn’t what actually happens in the heat of the moment, but rather who you choose to experience those moments with.

Eight months later, I think it’s an understatement to say that I have found my community. Socializing never used to come easy for me, instead of speaking before thinking, I would overthink what I said to the point where I would only listen in on conversations and wouldn’t add my input. 

To this day, I am still like this. But the next time someone asks me a question or is ending a conversation with someone, anytime I want to add something, I will always start my conversation with the phrase ‘Can I add something?’ or ‘Can I add on?’ just so that I’m not leaving the person on the other end confused when I want to join the conversation. 

What I’ve realized from engaging rather than existing in conversations is that it’s almost like giving someone else a prequel of what my personality is like. The more I talk to people I surround myself with, the more I realize that I don’t need to go to the same person about what’s going on in my life because of the large community that surrounds me every day. 

What I’ve realized from engaging rather than existing in conversations is that it’s almost like giving someone else a prequel of what my personality is like.

If I need to rant to someone, I will talk to a friend. If I need some harsh yet helpful advice, I will talk to a friend, but if I need some advice in school, I will talk to a counselor. No matter how independent or how old I get, I now know that whatever chapter of my life I am in, there will always be people I can turn to whenever I am seeking for some sense of direction in my life.  

Katelynn, I still remember when we sat around the table during “Trendsgiving,” and I started reading off the conversation cards shaped like pumpkins just to create conversation while we were waiting for the food. From that day forward, you would always ask for my Algebra II textbook, and it brought me so much joy knowing that I could make your life easier because it can be such a burden having to carry that book around school. 

Lauren, you continue to amaze me everyday, despite how much I struggle in APUSH, you push me to expand my thoughts and remind me that as long as I try, that’s all that matters. Your giggles remind me to keep smiling not only because it’s good for the soul, but also because it’s contagious and that I should never be ashamed to be who I am.

Alex, I still think of you as that girl sitting to the left of me on the first day of school. From publishing our first stories on The Central Trend to becoming staff writers for the voice of FHC, I can truthfully say that your editing skills have definitely improved my writing in ways I never thought possible. I’ve learned to take constructive criticism more seriously rather than personally, and I appreciate that you never judge me despite the amount of times that I say the word ‘sorry.’ 

Mr. George, even on the days where we can’t always have a full on conversation about the highs and lows of our lives at school, I know that no matter how busy you are, you never fail to make The Central Trend know that you care about them because of the three simple words that come out of your mouth almost everyday: ‘I appreciate you.’ 

There’s no one writer that’s the best, we’re all great writers together. 

And last but most certainly not least, the editors. Emma, I sometimes wish I could have as much confidence as you. The way you’re able to grab everyone’s attention and create a sense of structure during our meetings astounds me not only because of how well you are able to control us but also because of the amount of trust and dependency that everyone puts into you. 

Natalie, I sometimes like to think that you’re the mom of The Central Trend. I get worried when I see you crying, but the second I realize that those tears are for a good reason, it makes my day seeing how you care for others and choose to laugh through the pain even on the days that really test your ability to see the good in everything. 

Avery, you amaze me with your style each and every day. Despite how hectic our school newspaper can sometimes be, you always seem so calm and collected during our meetings, and I can only imagine the great opportunities that life has in store for you. 

And to every staff writer on The Central Trend, thank you. For always making our meetings so lively and for always having the energy to cheer on others even though at the end of the day, we can all be a little drained. There’s no one writer that’s the best, we’re all great writers together.