Dear Present me: where it all began

The Central Trend is nothing without you Mr.George and you will be missed, but we wish you the best at Hope.

Dear Present me, 

April 12th, 2024, 

Where it all ends. 

It was the first time I had ever seen him shed tears, and for the first time in forever, time had stopped, but not in that room, not in room 139 or 140 plastered with such intrinsic, yet meaningful quotes. 

Not in the room where it all began. The room where my passion for journalism truly started to blossom. Not the room where I’ve spent my 6th hour these past three years of my high school career. 

You see, because to me, The Central Trend was more than just a large vivacious room in the school, it was a home filled with a family and a teacher who I don’t think will ever be replaceable, no matter who fills that position when he leaves. 

I knew this day was coming, I guess I just didn’t realize how soon it was coming, let alone towards the end of my senior year, my last year of high school. I don’t know how many more changes I can take, it’s all happening so fast. 

One history teacher is retiring, another one is being promoted to an AP class. Another math teacher is retiring, and another one will soon begin their third year of teaching AP Statistics. Another English teacher is leaving and accepting a job offer at Hope College, and to top it all off, even our principal is retiring. 

I don’t even know if I’ll be able to recognize my own high school by the time I come back to visit when I’m an alumna and not a student this time. I don’t know if I’m ready for this, but it’s happening whether I like it or not, and there’s absolutely nothing I can do to stop it. 

Except enjoy the time that remains. 

You see, there was before you, and there was during you. But for some reason, I never thought there would be an after you, but there it was, and you were in it, Mr. George.  

August 26th, 2021 

It was when it all began, truly one of the best days of my life. I didn’t realize what walking in that room truly entailed for me; I was a sophomore who was feeling so lost and had no source of direction or hope in my life until I met the one and only Mr. George.

Hope got a good one Mr. George—but please don’t ever forget—that your blood will always bleed green and white. 

You may as well be a Dutch now, but you will always be a Ranger first. 

Thank you for all the memories, edits, stories, and support, and for just being the most outstanding teacher ever. So, thank you for having such a lasting impact on each and every one of our souls because you will be missed.

The Central Trend will never be the same without you, and I will miss your lasting presence each and every day.

So thank you. If it weren’t for you, I don’t think I would have found the beginning of my story, so thank you Mr. George for helping me find it. Thank you for everything, truly.

Sincerely, 

Present me