Spy X Family CODE: White is a fulfilling watch for those enjoying family adventure and action-packed animation

The+official+poster+for+the+movie%2C+Spy+x+Family+CODE%3A+White.+Owned+and+release+by+Crunchyroll+
The official poster for the movie, Spy x Family CODE: White. Owned and release by Crunchyroll

Spy x Family is an anime that everyone can enjoy, especially those who enjoy unending miscommunications. It is a show about spies, espionage, assassins, and memories for the whole family.

Over the past few months, I have grown a very big liking for this show, and recently, the producers have released a cinema-tailored movie (Spy x Family CODE: White) about a new adventure. Namely, chocolate thievery is one of the many subjects. 

Now, unlike most anime plots, this one is quite simple and allows for creative branching adventures that lead to endearing moments of family and self-learned improvement. 

The premise of the show follows the main character Loid, a fake identity for a spy code named Twilight. He is tasked with starting a family to infiltrate a school. So he adopts a child, Anya, and marries a woman, Yor. The twist: Yor is an assassin trying to marry a man in an attempt to conceal her side job, and Anya is a telepath. 

Much of the episodes revolve around Anya and her attempt to navigate a prestigious school while trying to help her father complete his mission. The catch is that she can’t reveal that she can read minds, otherwise her promised family might be torn apart. 

In other episodes, the parents take the spotlight and tango with thick plots and treachery. The show stays quiet and light-hearted but is not afraid to show the darker side of humanity when necessary, much like neglected children or the impacts of war. 

Spy x Family CODE: White follows the family as they take a vacation to try local cuisine. To win Anya an award for best student cook, the plan is to recreate the dish to win the heart of the principal judge. 

The movie highlights a sense of family bonding through, shopping, traveling, studying, and an average dose of war-threatening military plans.

As an avid watcher of this show, I absolutely adore the concept and am a sucker for the found family trope it applies to the characters. Imagine my reaction when I found that this almost two-hour movie was jam-packed with enjoyment. 

The show stays quiet and light-hearted but is not afraid to show the darker side of humanity when necessary, much like neglected children or the impacts of war. 

One of my favorite parts of the movie includes Anya and her fanciful imagination. A scene in her mind a brilliantly animated with a “scrapbook” texture and lower key frames of movement resulting in a colorful visual. This was a much-needed scene when placed with all the darker action-packed climax. 

However, I do have gripes with the creators as the transitions to and from this bit are jarring. The entire audience was in fact shocked into awkward laughter while spectating. 

The theme of the movie is family sticking together, no matter what, and it is shown through both parents trying to find Anya when she goes on her side quest. Left both confused and unaware, Loid and Yor attempt to find their daughter their ways before joining up and tag teaming the climax in a very unique split way. 

All in all, the movie was fun to watch, especially when I knew the show and properly enjoyed shenanigans mixed with expert animation and action all in one. Yet as all things come, this movie needs more contacts to be thoroughly enjoyed so I recommend to all readers they catch up on the show before seeing the movie.