Barbie is the movie of the summer

Bazaar
One of the many posters for the Barbie movie

Before discussing the spectacular film, I have to mention the outstanding marketing that led to opening day making $161 million. 

Barbie has been all over the internet and in every store. So many brands collaborated with Barbie, so now you can wear Barbie lipgloss, brush your teeth with a Barbie toothbrush and toothpaste, wear Barbie clothes from head to toe, and even eat a Barbie burger. Due to the never-ending Barbie merchandise available, this movie has been on everyone’s minds from the moment the trailer was released on May 25.

Barbie is the movie of the summer; it was clear when I showed up at the theater and saw groups of people decked out in their fabulous pink outfits. All of the hype is well deserved. Barbie was nothing like I expected, yet it both met and blew my expectations. 

The set, costumes, acting, plot, and everything about this film are stunning. Barbieland is beautiful; the pink paint shortage was worth it to see this magical world come to life. The life-size Barbie dreamhouses have become my dream home now. 

Barbie explains feminism in an easy-to-understand way that also allows males to relate to the issues women face every day.

Every single costume was fabulous. It’s hard to pick just one favorite outfit when they all served. But, if I had to choose, I would say the pink cowgirl outfit is the jewel in the crown. The best Ken outfit was definitely his fur coat moment. Just looking at the costumes—and the fact that every single person in this film looked like they were red carpet ready—I can see why this film needed a $145 million budget. 

The pink cowgirl outfit I wish I owned (Mattel)

Now, the plot was like the Disney movie Enchanted but focused more on the problems in the real world and Barbieland regarding equality. Barbie explains feminism in an easy-to-understand way that also allows males to relate to the issues women face every day. It does all of this while keeping a humorous tone accomplished through physical comedy and the sarcastic narrator (Helen Mirren). I say that, but I still cried during this film.

Another part of this movie that I am obsessed with is the soundtrack. Songs by Dua Lupa, Lizzo, Nicki Minaj, and more played throughout the movie, and I loved every single one. Hands down the best song was the “I’m Just Ken” song by Ryan Gosling’s Ken, a close second being “Barbie World” by Nicki Minaj, Ice Spice, and Aqua. 

Of course, I can’t write a review about a movie without talking about the acting. Margot Robbie is Barbie and no one else could have played that role as well as she did. I feel the same way about Gosling. Every actor did a fabulous job in making this highly anticipated movie as amazing as it is. The mother-daughter duo consisting of Ariana Greenblatt and America Ferrera was portrayed so so well, and their growth and demonstration of the struggles of women in the real world were perfect. 

I have no complaints when it comes to this film; I loved everything about it, and I wish I could give it even more praise, but I don’t want to spoil anything. If you haven’t seen it already, go buy your ticket; trust me, you won’t regret it.

View Comments (1)
Addy Cousins
Addy Cousins, Editor-in-Chief
Addy is a senior, and this is her fourth and final year on The Central Trend. Addy's love for writing inspired her to join the school newspaper, and it has helped her love writing even more and she has found some of the greatest friendships through the class. Outside of writing, she spends her time watching TV and hanging out with her friends and family.   Her Favorite Book: The Secret History by Donna Tartt Her Comfort Movie: She's The Man Her Favorite Time: 1:23 Her Lucky Number: 7

• G

Gibby WierengaAug 10, 2023 at 7:02 pm

I knew someone would do it

Reply