The FHC student section leaders are eager for an exciting year of athletics while improving the school’s culture

Carson Bebout
From left to right: Charlie Afman, Sloane Corey, Gigi Sinicrope, and Jonas VanderWoude. The four student section leaders at the Hawaiian-out game.

In the midst of pouring rain and biting cold, a sea of eager high schoolers dressed head-to-toe in black clothes cheered for their football team as they won their Homecoming game. Within the crowd, senior Charlie Afman was experiencing one of his favorite games of the year thus far. 

Charlie is one of this year’s student section leaders alongside seniors Sloane Corey, Jonas VanderWoude, and Gigi Sinicrope. After having been given this position by alumnus Anthony Ott, Charlie is enthusiastic about living up to the legacy of past leaders and helping make this year’s student section one of the best.

“It has been a good year so far,” Charlie said. “The Byron [Center] game was a [sad] loss, but I feel like overall, the student section [that night] was definitely the best we’ve had. I feel as we get closer to the playoffs, it’ll be better to have a bit more energy in the crowd.”

The main roles of the student section leaders are to pick out the themes for each of the games throughout the year, lead chants for all the students to partake in, and to ensure that the student spectators are being as respectful as possible while still having an enjoyable night.

This year, there have been new rules implemented to improve the culture revolving around the student section. There is more energy being put into cleaning up the stands both during and after the games. Whatever students don’t pick up themselves, the student section leaders have to clean up on their own after everyone else has left. Because of this, the four leaders have been strongly encouraging those who make messes to promptly pick them up so that it makes both their jobs easier.

Try to live in the moment for these [games] because four years really does go by fast.

— Charlie Afman

“We’ve been trying to limit people throwing things and leaving trash everywhere,” Sloane said, “so we’ve been cleaning up a lot more. Also, we’re trying to remain respectful to the other team and not boo or point out specific players.”

As Sloane said, she and the rest of the student section leaders have also been trying to limit the amount of disrespectful chants being yelled at the opposing team. Contrary to popular belief, these cheers do not ramp up the team, but rather, it is when the students are screaming chants of encouragement that make them feel better.

Athletic Director Jonathan Goei, unfortunately, witnesses these discouraging chants firsthand at most all sporting events he attends. While he appreciates the efforts that the leaders are putting in to stop them, it is still disappointing for him to have to listen to those who disregard them and continue being rude and disrespectful.

“[The rowdy students are] not helping us in any way, shape, or form by yelling, screaming, and hollering at the other team or at the officials,” Goei explained. “I think if people could start to understand that and realize that just cheering for our team is what’s going to be the most beneficial for our teams, that would be a huge help. That would go a long way to actually helping our teams [be] successful and win and have a good time while they’re doing it.”

There will always be a buzz of excitement around going to games and enjoying the night with friends. Students will still be able to accomplish this while being respectful, and it will take a lot of stress off the shoulders of the student section leaders since it will be one less thing for them to worry about.

The enthusiastic faces and talk is one of Sloane’s favorite aspects of the student section as a whole. While football is moving farther away from the regular season and closer to playoffs, students are sad that the football games will soon be over before they can blink an eye. However, the winter and spring sports have room for more energetic student sections with fun themes and future memories to be made.

“I really like seeing everyone super excited for the football games and the basketball games and everything,” Sloane said. “When the whole school comes together to support one team, it’s really fun.”

This sense of excitement that can be seen from every face in the student section depicts a level of unity that only FHC can attain. Fan favorites like the “We are the Rangers” chant and the roller coaster have the stands shaking and spirits high. They are chants that will never retire and will forever define the culture of the school.

This, paired with the encouragement of FHC sports teams is the perfect recipe for a successful year with lasting memories.

“If people were in a good mood and positive and cheering for their friends, the people they’ve grown up with, and the people that they’re in school with every day, it’s hard to not galvanize around that,” Goei said. “It’s hard to be in there and want to go against the people standing next to you.”

These moments will not last forever. The cheers that echo across the stadium and the coordinating outfits will one day fade into the past. The student section leaders are here to make sure that these moments will stay vibrant forever.

“You only have four years in high school,” Charlie said. “Try to live in the moment for these [games] because four years really does go by fast. I know it’s a little cliche to say, but try to get involved in high school. Once you go to college, you’ll look at high school as a really small thing and you really want to have that experience [of] having fun with your friends.”