Kim Kardashian’s collaboration with Alani Nu was not the move

Body+Soul
one of the promotion shots used for the Kim Kardashian Alani Nu collab drink: Kimade

I started my energy drink journey by trying my friend’s Cherry Slush Alani Nu drink about two years ago. Then, I tried the Breezeberry flavor, which was even better than the Cherry Slush. On the rare occasion that I would drink one, Alani Nu became my go-to energy drink. But then, I found a few Celsius flavors I thoroughly enjoyed, and I was hooked. 

Celsius became my new energy drink; I abandoned the Alani Nus. I haven’t had an Alani Nu since school started, however, that changed when Kim Kardashian collaborated with Alani Nu to make the Kimade, and so, I decided to give Alani Nu another chance. 

This drink will catch people’s attention based on the container alone. Generally, Alani Nu’s drink cans are loud and full of designs, but they took a new approach with the Kimade; the can is a sleek pink with “Alani” down the side in beautiful bubble lettering. It’s pretty and easy on the eyes, but it is still eye-catching at the same time. I prefer this look over the usual loom that is far too busy. This design distracted me with the perfect girliness of it, but it was not as distracting as their usual cluttered and all-over-the-place designs. 

Considering how gorgeous this can is and how the drink was supposed to resemble strawberry lemonade—hence the name Kimade—I was expecting it to taste exceptionally good.  

It was like the drink was doing a horrible cosplay of pink lemonade mixed with La Croix (which is probably the one drink I hate the most).

It did not. 

The first sip was misleading, it was sweet and delicious, even the aftertaste was even good—it’s hard to find a good aftertaste, let alone an aftertaste that is better than the actual drink. But each sip after my first revealed how terrible the drink truly is. 

I can’t even put a name to the foul taste that assaulted my tongue. It was like the drink was doing a horrible cosplay of pink lemonade mixed with La Croix (which is probably the one drink I hate the most). The best way to describe it would be bitter and sad. 

I was deeply disappointed, the can was just so pretty and I had high hopes for the drink itself—mostly so I could stare at the stunning can design—but as I took sip after sip, I knew I had to give it up. This drink is simply repulsive. Lemonade is one of my favorite drinks and one I believe is hard to mess up, but Kimade found a way. 

I truly wish I enjoyed this drink, from the pretty can to it being gluten-free and zero sugar, it had so much potential. It was revealed on the Alani Nu website first and then opened in stores. It had high anticipation and is a limited edition drink, so thankfully it has limited stock available. 

Kim Kardashian has produced plenty of good merchandise; from her brand Skims to her mobile app game: Kim Kardashian Hollywood, she is rare to disappoint. However, Kimade did not meet expectations as well as her other merchandise indentures. 

I believe it is safe to say I will not be drinking Kim K’s Kimade ever again. This drink was a major letdown and a waste of a beautiful container.