A junior’s journal: is it over now?

Alex Smith
The cast of The Curious Savage all dressed in their Halloween costumes!

Every year, I write this story. Every year, I talk about this week, and I say a thank you to all the people involved. As much as I hate to be predictable, I’m going to do it again.

The fall play is one of my favorite things every year. It’s when I get to see some of my favorite people and put on a show that makes people laugh, smile, and feel something. This year was different because I was an important part of the show.

Being the student director means countless hours spent on the show, telling people what to do, a severe lack of sleep, and constant stress. But, I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

This show was so incredible. I was nervous, I’m not going to lie, but we killed it every time. The cast was perfect, and the crew did exactly what was expected of them. I’m so proud. We were all a little nervous about having a new director, but none of us could’ve imagined how awesome she would turn out to be and how much she helped us.

This show couldn’t have been what it was without a lot of different people. A lot of people gave this show their all, and without them, we would have nothing. Without them, I wouldn’t be mourning this loss as deeply as I am.

A lot of people gave this show their all, and without them, we would have nothing.

Without Megan, we wouldn’t have any props. The set would be bare with no decorations or furniture to make it feel like home. Without her, the actors would be performing with empty hands.

Without Henry, the stage would be dark. There wouldn’t be any lights to show the actors’ beautiful faces. There wouldn’t be any sad music to make the audience feel something. The actors would have to project their voices without him. There wouldn’t be any microphones.

Without Alexis, there would be no clothes to show the time period. The actors would be wearing modern-day clothes that have no impact on the show. Without Alexis, the show wouldn’t be complete.

Without Lili and Lily, there would be no wrinkles. The actors wouldn’t look aged, and their hair wouldn’t be styled to reflect their character. Without them, hair wouldn’t be done, and makeup wouldn’t be up to par.

Without Aubrey, the audience would be able to see every move. They would be able to see us dancing backstage; they would be able to see me frantically giving cues. Without Aubrey, the curtains would remain forever open.

Without Alayna, Annaliese, Kylie, Aaliyah, Addie, Abby, and Audrey, the actors would sit on the floor. They wouldn’t have their furniture in the right spot. They would have a constantly knocked-over Parcheesi board. Without the stage crew, they would be working on dirt and touching dust.

And without the cast, the crew would be doing everything that we do for nothing. We all need each other, and this show couldn’t have happened without any one of us. I continue to mourn the end of The Curious Savage. All I can think when I go home is, “Is it over now?”

View Comments (1)
Alex Smith
Alex Smith, Staff Photographer
Alex is a junior entering her third year on staff. She is the student director for the FHC Theatre program, and she can't wait for this theatre season to come. The theatre is her home away from home, and it means the absolute world to her. When Alex isn't writing or backstage, she is either working, taking pictures, or sleeping. Alex is looking forward to taking photos for The Central Trend this year, and she is also excited to be writing lots of columns. She is anxious for her junior year, which is said to be the hardest, but she is excited about all the opportunities she gets to explore. Favorite type of music: Taylor Swift. That's it. Biggest life goal: visit all 7 continents Astrological sign: Alex is a proud cancer What is her mantra: Try your best and you will succeed

• S

Smith KerriNov 20, 2023 at 2:03 pm

It was a great show!

Reply