I have seen the seas

I spent much of my early childhood years with the water.

I have sailed across many seas and visited numerous foreign lands; not many people have the ability to say they have visited more countries than states.

Every year I would wait in anticipation for the end of summer, even though it meant going back to school. It would ensure my reunification with the water.

I have spent hours sitting by the rail, reading while watching the water move in the most unique ways possible. I would give anything to experience that more than once every year. 

Although I am terrified of heights, and anything that could put me in danger, I am never scared of sailing the oceans. It welcomes me with safe and open arms every time we meet. The ocean is like a warm blanket, always there to console me in my times of need.

My heart yearns for the feelings of being in the ocean. 

I loved peering over the edge of the boat and watching the waves go by; I have always had to resist the urge to jump in. The times of watching dolphins jump in and out of the water are considered a core memory in my mind. Watching orcas swimming through the oceans near Alaska are held high on that list as well. I will never forget the many moments I’ve spent on the water. 

I’ve spent time in the cold, and many times in the blazing heat. I have had the ability to swim with many different sea creatures: turtles, stingrays, dolphins, and fish. My heart yearns for the feelings of being in the ocean. 

Not only have I spent much time on large boats, I have also spent hours wading in the water with one of the women whom I hold dearest to my heart: my beautiful grandmother.

She has shown me that memories made are worth more than the pieces of clothing ruined in the process. I have walked through freezing cold lakes with long pants on, just so I could be in contact with the water, wherever I may be. 

Sitting on the beach with the wind in my hair and sand in my toes may be some of my favorite summertime activities. I am able to sit and enjoy the sun and the lake views, but I am given any chance to run to the solace of the water.

Whatever body of water it may be, I know that it will be there; I love the oceans, I love the rivers, and I love the lakes.

I would give the world to spend my life with the water, but I know I can’t. The acknowledgment of the forever presence of the ocean keeps me in a constant state of bliss, waiting to be one again with my happy place.