This year’s Valentine’s Day decorations from Target are an enamoring assortment of heart-covered commodities

Ella Peirce
An assortment of some of the pillows mentioned in this article, as well as other Valentine’s Day items from Target.

As a lover of all things pink and all things heart-shaped, a store around Valentine’s Day is a sight very dear to me. ‘Tis the season of love in the air and desolation in the hearts of many. 

Target—as they always do—has gone all out in terms of cultivating a lifestyle around this holiday. From cards to candy to clothing, they have covered every aspect imaginable; of course, they have decorations.

Throw Blankets

There are six new Valentine’s-themed throw blankets by the brand Room Essentials; the brand is Target’s line of home furnishings. They all cost an affordable $10 and are soft, cute, and simple. 

Two of them particularly caught my attention—mostly because they both feature my favorite color: pink. One was pink with a pattern of large, red hearts. Although simplistic, this one is my favorite because the pink and red hues admirably embody the holiday. The other is white with small, pink hearts; my only issue with this one is that the hearts are too small; they look like polka dots from afar because of their size.

I cannot remember the last time that I ventured to Target and left without stopping by and spending an exorbitant amount of time in the candle aisle.

Candles

I cannot remember the last time that I ventured to Target and left without stopping by and spending an exorbitant amount of time in the candle aisle. The idea of existing in a Target and not smelling at least one candle is simply absurd. There are four three-wick candles by Threshold—another brand by Target—and three heart-shaped, two-wick candles that share three of the four scents from the three-wick candles. The scents are Wild Berries and Verbena, Red Roses, Sugared Watermelon, and Almond Shortbread. 

The packaging for Sugared Watermelon was my favorite; the three-wick candle is pink with a red and white floral design, while the two-wick candle is a somewhat deep pink shade that matches the shade of the three-wick. And, to reiterate, the two-wick candles are heart-shaped, which heavily contributed to my love for them. As a fan of sweeter scents, Almond Shortbread was my favorite, but Sugared Watermelon was a close second.

Throw Pillows

Just as with the throw blankets, there is a new collection of $10 pillows by Room Essentials. There are two ribbed, plush, heart-shaped pillows that come in red and pink, two rectangular pillows that are knit on one side and plush on the other with different designs on each, and a red, white, and pink dog-shaped pillow. 

I don’t love ribbed pillows, so I’m not the biggest fan of the heart ones; they are too simplistic, even for my taste. The knit pillows, on the other hand, have the opposite problem: they are not minimalistic enough. Both of them are lovable and festive, but I remain staid in my picky ways. One is checkered red and pink with white hearts in each square, and the other is red with Xs and Os as well as a pink heart in place of the last O. 

Lastly, there’s the dog pillow. Although my initial reaction was negative, I have gradually grown to adore this pillow. Its ears, nose, and stuck-out tongue are all pink, and it’s wearing a red sweater with a pink heart at its center. Everything except the red sweater is a basic, plush fabric, but the red is a sherpa-like material. If the red were omitted from the pillow, I would probably buy this to match the pink and white color scheme of my room—have I mentioned that pink is my favorite color?

While some of these items have me feeling as though Cupid himself struck me with his arrow, others will not be receiving a metaphorical Valentine from me. All in all, Target has once again impressed me with its ability to assemble apposite adornments that get everyone in the Valentine’s Day spirit.