Dune: Part Two was a visually stunning masterpiece that has secured its spot as one of the best sequels of all time

IMDb
One of the incredible movie posters for Dune: Part Two.

Dune: Part One was released to critical acclaim in Sep. 2021 as an adaptation of the famous novel by Frank Herbert. Directed by the visionary film director Denis Villeneuve, Dune was an immediate success with its stellar cast, including Timothee Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, and Zendaya, as well as its exemplary cinematography and compelling story. 

I first watched Dune: Part One as a skeptical sci-fi critic a few months after its release. With no previous knowledge of the story, I honestly thought that the storyline fell a little short, and the movie even bored me at times. When the sequel was announced later that year, I had little interest in watching it; however, I couldn’t deny the incredible use of scenery and acting I witnessed in the first movie, so for that reason only, I purchased tickets to watch Dune: Part Two a month before its official release. 

Dune: Part Two was released internationally on March 1. Walking into the dark theater, I had retained only two pieces of information from the previous movie: Paul Atreides’s entire family had died, and he was now affiliated with the sand-dwelling people called Fremen. 

For those unfamiliar with the Dune franchise, the main storyline follows a young prince named Paul Atreides (Timothee Chalamet), heir to the renowned House Atreides on planet Caladan, reminiscent of Earth. He and his family are thrust into a universal war when they take claim of another planet called Arrakis by order of the Emperor. Arrakis is home to the native Fremen, led by Stilgar (Javier Bardem), and holds the most precious substance in the Dune universe: spice. Essentially, whoever controls the spice trade has the ultimate power. A rival house that previously owned Arrakis, House Harkonnen, launches an unexpected full-scale attack on House Atreides, killing nearly every member of the family. After losing everything, Paul and his mother, Lady Jessica (Rebecca Ferguson), find the Fremen and rise within their ranks in Part Two.

From the opening scene, the spectacular use of cinematography I would witness throughout the movie was evident. Denis Villeneuve used masterful directorial techniques to give the film the perfect action sequences and rare comedic timing it needed to succeed. The use of visuals was definitive and stunning. The contrasting environments were transparent as the film alternated between different worlds, yet they blended just enough to make the movie complete with incredible settings. For example, on House Harkonnen’s home planet, Giedi Prime, the introduction of Feyd Rautha Harkonnen (Austin Butler) is blanketed in stark black and white due to the planet’s orbit around a black sun. On Arrakis, the sands of the desert shine in a golden hue. 

The contrasting environments were transparent as the film alternated between different worlds, yet they blended just enough to make the movie complete with incredible settings.

Furthermore, I must mention the smart choices used to produce the film. Dune: Part Two had a budget of about $190 million, which seems like an enormous amount to make a movie. However, compared to The Marvels, which had a budget of $270 million and only made $206.1 million at the box office due to its lack of originality, Dune: Part Two created a veritable masterpiece on a much smaller budget with seamless use of CGI and other technologies. The motion picture is currently being praised as one of the greatest sequels in film history, racking up a current total of over $220 million worldwide. 

Another one of my favorite aspects of the film was the star-studded cast. Timothee Chalamet, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson, and Javier Bardem were all brilliant in their respective reprisal roles, especially Chalamet. In the first film, Chalamet represented the youthful side of Paul Atreides, a nervous teenager who wasn’t ready to take on the leadership of House Atreides. However, in Part Two, Chalamet expertly represented Atreides’s villainous shift to power after claiming the ancient Fremen name of Lisan Al Gaib, which translates to “The Voice from the Outer World.” As written, Atreides is meant to be their Messiah. He is also heralded as Muad’dib, the Fremen name he chose for himself that translates to “desert mouse.” Chalamet’s versatility as an actor, transitioning from joyful projects like Wonka to becoming an apocalyptic leader in Dune: Part Two, is a testament to his talent and promises a bright future in acting. 

The additions to the cast also portrayed their characters wonderfully. Princess Irulan (Florence Pugh), Margot Fenring (Lea Seydoux), and The Emperor (Christopher Walken) dominated their scenes during their somewhat limited screen time, further engrossing me in the Dune universe. Feyd Rautha Harkonnen was a terrifying villain, shown as a bloodthirsty, psychotic nephew to Baron Vladimir Harkonnen (Stellan Skarsgard). Butler displayed his acting and improvising skills in expert form, especially during the fight scenes and his introduction. 

The use of sound in Dune: Part Two was a masterstroke. In the final fight scene between Feyd Rautha and Paul Atreides, the absence of noise, except for the resounding clash of steel and deft movements, heightened the scene’s importance and impact. Renowned composer Hans Zimmer’s phenomenal soundtrack perfectly punctuated the film, at times making the music’s impact physically felt through the speakers. 

Dune: Part Two, a unique cinematic masterpiece, surpassed all my expectations. Its visuals were beyond extraordinary, and the dramatic, fantastic acting from some of the greatest actors of this generation was a sight to behold. With its unique blend of sci-fi and action, this movie is a cinematic experience that I will forever cherish. 

View Comments (1)
Maylee Ohlman
Maylee Ohlman, Staff Writer
Maylee Ohlman is a sophomore going on to her first year on The Central Trend.  She spontaneously decided to join Writing for Publication this year and is now excited to keep writing for the rest of her time in high school. She dances on the FHCVDT in the winter. In her free time, she loves to read, swim at the beach, and try new bubble tea spots across Michigan. Maylee loves to feel like a tourist anywhere she goes and aspires to travel as much as she can in her lifetime. Besides reading and traveling, she's always loved movies and good food, and hopes to eventually combine her passions into a journalism career. Favorite book: Better than the Movies by Lynn Painter Favorite TV show: The Last of Us Go-to bubble tea order: A peach milk tea with lychee jelly and tapioca pearls

• E

Ella PeirceMar 11, 2024 at 10:08 pm

love this maylee!!

Reply