The health of my hair is all thanks to these five products and steps

a+collage+of+different+hair+care+products+
a collage of different hair care products

Growing up, I was always told how beautiful my hair was. 

I was constantly complimented on how healthy my long, brown hair was and was told never to alter it. So, after 15 years of living with untouched hair, I decided it was time to do something fun and spontaneous, and I found myself standing in the box dye section of Walgreens.

After deciding to do one of the worst things you can do to your hair—dying it with black box dye multiple times—I was worried about losing the healthiness, length, and thickness of my hair; therefore, I developed a hair care routine that has helped me make sure my hair stays as healthy as it can. 

Microfiber towel 

After washing my hair, the first thing I do is scrunch out any excess water and tie my hair up in a microfiber towel, or, sometimes, a t-shirt. I have found that using this over a regular towel is gentler on my hair. It isn’t as heavy as a regular towel and doesn’t pull on the strands of my hair as much, helping control frizz after drying and preventing breakage. I typically sit with my hair wrapped in this towel for 30 minutes, take my hair out, scrunch, and comb through it with a wide-toothed comb before applying any product.

Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Leave-In Conditioner

As someone who only washes their hair once or twice a week, the most important thing for me is making sure that my hair is getting some sort of hydration to ensure that I have minimal breakage. This leave-in conditioner was recommended to me by a friend, and it has done wonders for my hair. It has made my hair feel softer after each wash, leaving a clean look. One complaint I do have is that when I don’t use the correct amount of this product, my hair is left with a wet, greasy look and feel.

Even though this is an oil-based product, due to its lightness, I have never had an issue with my clean hair looking or feeling greasy after applying this.

OGX Biotin & Collagen Oil Mist

Though I have heard mixed opinions on this brand, this product itself is one of my favorites. After washing my hair, I spray this product throughout my scalp, making sure that it is evenly applied. Even though this is an oil-based product, due to its lightness, I have never had an issue with my clean hair looking or feeling greasy after applying this. Not only has my hair started growing thicker after using this, but it also feels a lot softer overall after I spray it. 

Mielle Rosemary Mint Scalp Hair Strengthening Oil

The length and strength of my hair is very important to me. I have always had long hair, and I am someone who will have a breakdown if my hair is cut even an inch too short, so I will do everything in my power to keep my hair growing. I typically apply and massage this oil into my scalp before each wash and let it sit for 30 to 45 minutes before washing it out. Even though my hair has always grown pretty quickly, after using this oil, my hair has become less fragile and begun growing healthier. 

Air Dry

After applying products to my hair, I will leave my hair down to air dry and continue about my day. As someone who puts heat on their hair just about every day by straightening it, I avoid blow drying my hair as much as possible to keep away from any more unnecessary heat. I also do not have the patience to run a dryer through my hair, so air drying is a win-win. 

There are about a million different products and steps you can take to keep your hair healthy whether you’re suffering from damage or not. I have found that a minimal routine with simple steps is what works best for me. While this routine with these products may not give everyone the same results, this is what has done wonders for my hair and has become a crucial part of my routine.