FHC JV Baseball routes Cedar Springs on way to big win

Sam Hopkins, Sports Editor

The FHC JV baseball team’s bats came alive on Thursday night, as they drove in fourteen runs on their way to a fourth inning mercy against Cedar Springs. FHC was on top of their game from the get-go on both sides of the ball.
Sophomore Carl Mielock was on the mound for FHC in the third game of the series against the Redhawks. Despite coming off of minimal rest from his last outing, Carl was able to shut down his opposition with ease. Only four men reached base for Cedar Springs, one of which came off of an error.
¨I pitched pretty well,¨ Carl said. ¨The defense played well and kept the errors to a minimum. It was nice that we were able to keep our winning streak going.¨
The first inning gave FHC their biggest scare. With the bases loaded, Carl got the Redhawk hitter to ground into an inning ending double play. The Rangers survived without giving up a run, and the RedHawks left men stranded.
Offensively, the Rangers never faltered. Jumping on the Cedar Springs pitcher early, FHC was ahead on the score board 7-0 by the end of the second. Sophomore Connor Palmitier provided a spark at the plate. Connor went 3-3 on the night, knocking in four through four innings.
¨Our bats have been hot as of late,¨ head coach Todd Hartman said. ¨When we hit, we win. It’s as simple as that.¨
The Rangers continued to be dominant on the defensive end. Carl continued to deal and seemed almost unhittable. He was utilizing several pitches in his arsenal and had his curveball working well. The defense behind Carl was performing well, only allowing one error on the night.
By the fourth inning, the game was complete. FHC tacked on seven more in the third and fourth innings combined, to end the game in a mercy.
¨The goal has been the same since the beginning,¨ Connor said. ¨Right now we’re undefeated in conference play, and we want that to continue. Finishing first in the conference would be a big accomplishment for our program.¨