Logic’s album Everybody holds something for everyone

Nisha Rajakrishna

More stories from Nisha Rajakrishna

Maddie Vonk
November 6, 2018
Callum Ovens
November 6, 2018

Since the global hit 1-800-273-8255 gained great success at the end of last year, singer Logic and his salient message have touched the hearts of many around the world. The 1-800 hit inspired a message of suicide prevention with the compelling story and captivating voice that Logic employed. The song’s beat and catchy rhythm enchanted millions, but the important message at the heart of the song is what gained the artists thousands of fans.

I, one of the thousands who admired Logic for his noble cause, was inspired by his viral hit and excited to see what other music of his I could discover. Upon searching through Spotify one afternoon, I uncovered Logic’s third album, Everybody, that came out halfway through last year. The album, though classified as hip-hop, holds a wide variety of genres within its realm. Between the mellow sound of “Take It Back” to the upbeat vibe given out by “Ink Blot,” Everybody holds a tune for everyone.

Everybody commences with “Hallelujah,” a long yet never lacking ballad praising those who dare to help. Throughout the album, a predominant theme is the idea of change. With winding songs that explore stories and emotion, Everybody is a unique album that encompasses genuine feeling behind it. Through his melodies, Logic proves that music and art can truly inspire waves of change.

For me, the highlight of the album was undoubtedly “Everybody,” the song that the album was named after. The jazzy beat combined with the comforting lyrics made for the perfect song for me. The album also features all sorts of outside talent, including Juicy J, Khalid, Ansel Elgort, and even Neil deGrasse Tyson. Listening to this album felt like searching through clothing racks at a second-hand store; keep digging, and you’ll find something that’s perfect for you.

The pure passion that can be detected in Logic’s voice is just one indicator of the eagerness that the artist has for his industry. Throughout the album, he continually discusses components of his identity ranging from recreation to race and religion. The important messages that he reveals throughout the course of the album prove that as a society, we need to embrace and celebrate differences. Only then can the ultimate panacea to our problems be produced: change.

Nisha Rajakrishna, Editor in Chief

Nisha Rajakrishna is a senior and entering her last year on staff as an Editor-in-Chief. Nisha loves to travel and experience new cultures, and in her...