• Varsity girls soccer game at home: 3/25

• Hour delay: 3/20

• Coin War donations at all lunches: 3/18-3/22

Amanda Bartolovic puts creativity into everything she does

The definition of an introvert is, according to Merriam-Webster, a reserved or shy person who enjoys spending time alone. They’re often introspective and quiet. Junior Amanda Bartolovic considers herself to be one.

“I’m an introvert,” Amanda said. “I’m just kind of in my head. That all channels out through making things, whether it be writing or drawing or painting.”

Amanda has been involved in several art classes for many years. She is equipped with the skills to create art in a multitude of mediums, rendering it her favorite way to express herself.

“Sometimes, it’s nice to just put colors together,” Amanda said. “You can create something out of nothing.”

Art is a very present and obvious way that Amanda shows her creativity, but it also leaks through into more of her extracurricular activities.

This year is the first that Amanda has participated in Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA), a group of students who get together to discuss medicine as a career.

“I don’t know for sure if I want to go into medical or health professional fields,” Amanda said, “Even if I don’t, it will help me with leadership skills and public speaking because I kind of struggle with that.”

There are different categories within the competition, and Amanda–along with a partner– will be competing in “Emergency Response.” This specific selection will require participants to work on the spot and have the ability to, at any time, work through any road bumps that they encounter. Her category of choice demands a great deal of creativity.

“We could face a number of different instances, and we need to be ready for anything,” Amanda said.

Regardless of how Amanda is showcasing her creative side, whether it be through art or science, there is one driving force that is giving her constant support: her parents.

Cvita and Simca Bartolovic immigrated to the United States from Bosnia before they had Amanda, but their culture still holds deep roots within her.

“I’d probably be a completely different person [without my Bosnian upbringing] because I feel like my work ethic and how I see the world comes a lot from my parents,” Amanda said. “They had to work a lot to be where they are, and it kind of inspired me to be like, ‘Yeah, I can take over the world.’”

Both her parents support Amanda to their fullest extent and help to inspire her creativity as well.

“My mom is into photography,” Amanda said, who prefers drawing herself. “Both my parents love how creative I am.”

Being creative is important to Amanda’s family and integral to her life.

“I think creativity for me is pretty much in the name itself,” Amanda said. “It’s to create something out of nothing; it’s the possibility and the openness that draws me in.”

Meredith VanSkiver, Staff Writer

Meredith VanSkiver is a junior entering her first year on staff, and she could not be more excited about it. In addition to The Central Trend, she is...