• Varsity girls soccer game at home: 3/25

• Coin War donations at all lunches: 3/18-3/22

White Noise Review

White Noise Review

Emily Obermeyer, Staff Writer

There’s a problem with girls in the music industry. Within the past century, there haven’t been many female fronted rock bands that reach a successful audience. In the creation of a new music era, a new generation of girls leading bands are ready to accomplish more than ever before. PVRIS is one of those bands, and their debut album White Noise (Deluxe Version) proves that they will be able to break down that barrier that constricts female bands.

PVRIS is a trio from Lowell, Massachusetts. After experimenting with different types of music and replacing multiple bandmembers, PVRIS built a name for themselves in their local music scene. They caught the eye of Rise Records, and were the first female fronted band to sign with that label. Their first studio length album was highly awaited by many fans, and let me tell you — this remarkable album definitely exceeded many expectations.

PVRIS’s debut album White Noise (Deluxe Version) produces a new genre of electronic pop rock to give the album a very distinct sound. From the first track to the very last note, front woman Lynn Gunn’s powerful voice rings out and nails a wide range of many song styles. Every subgenre of rock, electronic, and pop music is included on this album. Fans of many distinct genes will be satisfied with songs like the Top 40 friendly “You and I” to rock songs like “Fire.” The songs “Empty” and “Eyelids” will give you a heartbreak you never knew you had and these song bring a possibility for more stripped down sound in the future. The common recurring theme of ghosts and spirits is eerily beautiful, haunting, and yet calming. While there is a supernatural aspect to the album, songs like “Ghosts” and “Holy” relate to more everyday aspects. The 45 Minutes of White Noise (Deluxe Version) showcases a fresh, unique sound that is sure to appease any appetite for electronic music with catchy pop choruses.

Not only is there a musical element to this album, there is also a visual element. Every single song on the album has a music video, which is sure to bring satisfaction to any aesthetic hunting teen. By having an album produce both an audible and visual aspect, it brings a form of art that shows the thought that goes into producing an album.

Every feature of White Noise (Deluxe Version), from the sound, the visuals, and the theme showcase the unique potential this band has. While PVRIS isn’t set out to release a new album anytime soon, I’ll be waiting for them to release new music. There may not be that many female fronted bands, but I can’t wait to see this band grow and pave the way for more female artists.

Emily Obermeyer, Managing Editor of Social Media

Emily Obermeyer is a senior entering her second year on staff. Her favorite type of story to write is reviews. Emily plays basketball and loves going to...