Little did she know

My+belongings+and+what+most+of+my+days+are+spent+thinking+about%3B+school+on+repeat+

Arpita Das

My belongings and what most of my days are spent thinking about; school on repeat

It happened—exactly what happened, do you ask? That one event that every writer dreads to experience: writer’s block. Don’t get me wrong—it’s not that I’ve lost a passion for writing; it’s just that I’ve finally hit a brick road in my literary endeavors, and I can’t seem to find a way to break past it. 

So instead of making a column that pertains to some corny life lesson, I’ve decided to talk about life, which right now feels like nothing. It feels tranquil; it’s not going anywhere, like a pebble on the sidewalk that’s just waiting to be kicked. 

It’s not that I’m lifeless; I’m here breathing, writing this story; it’s just that nothing exciting is going on, yet it feels like everyone is moving on with their lives. Sometimes, it feels as if I am the only person on this planet with the entire universe spinning around me constantly changing like the four seasons of the year. 

My life is constantly evolving, and I can’t seem to process the changes very efficiently. Although starting a new chapter of my life sounds exciting, I can’t help but wonder what I’d be leaving behind. 

I’m going to be a senior in high school next year, in the 12th chapter of probably the most pivotal moments of my life, yet it hasn’t hit me that I’m almost done with high school, and I refuse to accept that I only have one more year at this amazing school. 

I was robbed of having a normal high school experience because my high school career got cut short by one year; I was online for an entire year—everyone knows this by now—I practically reiterate it in almost every story I write. 

But who’s to say that was necessarily a negative experience? Honestly, it wasn’t. I gained a lot of essential life skills from such a young age looking back at that time in my life. I learned how to be flexible and learn to troubleshoot things, but also realize that sometimes life doesn’t work out the way you want it to. 

Although I don’t know what will happen a year from now, what I do know is that I’m doing a lot better than I was last year because, at the end of the day, it’s always been you vs. you. If you had asked me a year ago what my hopes were for getting into college, I would’ve burst into tears because at the time I didn’t have the best grades—it was the second semester of sophomore year, and I had fallen into a “sophomore slump.” 

But a year later, I’ve come to realize that everything comes full circle, and a lot changes, more than you would expect actually. A year later, my favorite teacher is now teaching by far one of the toughest classes I’ve ever taken, my grandma no longer lives with us, and my sister is close to finishing her junior year of undergraduate school; she recently finished the MCAT. 

I don’t know what’s going to happen in five years or even ten years, but what I can affirm is that I will be doing better than I am right now. I most definitely will not be in high school, but someplace better, a place I am not even fully aware of yet.