“Honkai Star Rail” is an epic odyssey eclipsing the incredible creativity of HoYoverse

An official teaser poster. Photo and characters created and released by Hoyoverse

I would consider myself just above the ability level of an average HoYoverse player who indulges in metaphorical gambling and keeps up with each update. So, when I grew tired of “Genshin Impact,” I was pleasantly surprised to find a new direction to send my affection. 

Said attention was caught upon the star-flying, sci-fi fantasy, turn-based Gacha game, “Honkai Star Rail.”  

For those somewhat adverse to “Genshin Impact” or “Honkai Impact 3rd,” this game is a proper revamp/mashup of its predecessors. The Chinese company HoYoverse (previously known as miHoYo), took the concept of “Honkai Impact” and the organization of “Genshin” to forge this game atop new principles. 

I’ve had the opportunity to play since pre-launch by having an account before the boom of popularity hit its markets. Because of this, I have also experienced this company’s trademark of patches including new gameplay and content every month or so. 

One thing that may shock players is the difference in play style “Star Rail” has to offer. Consisting of a turn-based system, players will build teams of characters obtained through quests or exchanges and strike enemies with calculated moves while factoring in the opposing counter-attacks. 

It was a shock for me as I had grown used to open-world movement and dishing out constant attacks upon entities. Here, however, I was forced to use my brain instead of mashing buttons. 

Players must factor in damage dealers, team buffs, enemy buffs, shields, healing, follow-up attacks, and unexpected allies or foes. “Star Rail’s” ability to create intense battles coupled with advanced skill movements and amazing graphics is beyond anything I’ve had the wonder of participating in. 

The battles themselves do not lack any flare as the character designs and animations are pleasing to the eyes. The game even offers speed options for those farming for experience and materials as well as an auto-play option that is optimized for victory. Not every battle is a guaranteed win; however, the computer can only do so much, as can the player, so be prepared to try and try again. 

“Star Rail’s” exploration is also a blend of previous styles, so one can run around and explore stellar architectural background designs. Many times, I would find myself idling around different landscapes just watching as the NPCs loitered and interacted with the environment. Every map to explore offers some type of constant movement. 

So, the main character follows the mantra, “When you have a chance to make a choice, make one that you know you won’t regret.”

To even widen the craft, HoYoverse’s very own music department called Hoyo-Mix spawns a whole new world to explore atop the environment. The OSTs spanning each region exploit different storytelling methods and motifs that riddle my body with full-blown shivers of awe.   

From conflicts with robots to tussling with guards, even the climactic draw of boss battles is enhanced with vocals and empowering guitar riffs. For example, “Wildfire,” by Hoyo-Mix, Qi-Gong, and Jonathan Steingard is an incredible rock song. It plays during Cocolia’s confrontation at the end of the Belebog story arc.

Speaking of which, the most important thing in my book is the storytelling. As a sucker for lore and theories, this game offers more than plenty of loose ends to jump from. 

To summarize the story, the player is given a choice of two main characters, dubbed “The Trailblazers.” As this character, they run around the world with a chaos-reaping object of destruction called a Stelleron. In an attempt to understand this world, they wake up with amnesia to find out exactly how to control this object. 

So, the main character follows the mantra “When you have a chance to make a choice, make one that you know you won’t regret.” The mantra is given to them by the first character players meet named Kafka, urging them to explore this game to their heart’s content. 

As of current, “Honkai Star Rail” has recently released its newest story and area dubbed Penacony. Set in a glamorous world that replicates Las Vegas, this game promises to be new and exciting every time I log on.

As for new players and old ones, “Star Rail” releases a game every 30 to 40 days, and a new patch is always upcoming. 

“Honaki Star Rail” is very promising in the world of Gacha games, and its simplistic playstyle and enrapturing environment are enough to keep me on edge for its next surprise.