Tori Macleod, while busy, has no regrets

What do you get when you mix senior year with one sport, two jobs, three AP classes, two clubs, one passion, and not a touch of regret? A very busy and very happy Tori Macleod.

Even as a child, Tori was in the midst of all the activity. She tried every sport from basketball to gymnastics. But in the end, softball was the only game she stuck with for over a decade.

Throughout that decade, Tori has been a part of an array of teams ranging from travel teams to school teams. No matter the team, one thing has always been the same: her teammates.

“I’ve been playing with the same girls since I was five,” Tori said. “ We’ve been through a lot with each other, and that’s something that takes time. The relationships that we have now, you know, it’s like thirteen years in the making. It can’t be replicated, can’t be duplicated.”

Despite these irreplaceable relationships tying her to the sport she loves, Tori made a big decision to stop playing on a travel team this past summer. While she continues to play for the school’s varsity team, Tori has started to come to terms with what she wants for herself and for her future.

“When you come to recognize that the end of the sport that you’ve been playing all of your life is coming, and other things start popping up like having to pay for college, all this stuff starts making more of an appearance and starts weighing heavier on your life than the sport did,” Tori said. “The sport is going to be ending, and all this other stuff is going to be starting.”

One thing her dwindling practice time and shrinking time commitment has allowed for is working thirty hours a week. Tori manages to juggle two jobs; she works at both Biggby and Cascade Roadhouse. Tori works six days a week, three at each job.

In order to balance her intense school schedule and work, Tori has had to become a master of time management. Since she only has one weekday to do homework, planning ahead is a must.

“It’s all about time management for me,” Tori said. “I enjoy both of my jobs; I wouldn’t do them if I didn’t enjoy them. I have always struggled with time management. It’s a problem that I’m still trying to overcome, and working these two jobs has definitely helped me.”

This idea has other applications to Tori’s life as well. Seeing as it’s her senior year, there is a flurry of preparations to be made for the one major deadline in Tori’s life: college. However, one form of preparation comes in an unconventional form.

HOSA is a nationwide organization and platform for health profession competitions. When her friends founded the HOSA club at school, Tori was drawn in.

“Last year, I had such an amazing time with everyone [at HOSA],” Tori said. “ It was one of the highlights of high school, and I did better than I thought I was going to [in the competition].”

While HOSA is a lot of work and a lot of research, it never seems like a chore to Tori. This is because HOSA encourages her to expand upon her knowledge and learn something new. She knows that you get out what you put in and that this head start into the career she wishes to pursue is invaluable.

“The more I learned about the veterinary field, the more I’m invested in it, the more I’m intrigued by it, the more I’m interested, [and] the more I’m sure that this is the route I want to go with my life,” Tori said.

Two years ago, Tori and her family decided to rescue a puppy from a shelter. Although she had always loved animals, rescuing Luna really helped shape what career Tori wanted to go into.

“She’s the love of my life,” Tori said. “After getting her, I looked more into rescue stuff, researched about that, and that became something that was super important to me. So, I knew that I wanted to do something with that.”

Furthermore, reading is also an important aspect of Tori’s life. Last year, she helped co-found the FHC Book Club to help bring alike people together and to encourage others to not grow out of their love of reading.

“Reading is something that I think is really important for people who enjoy it,” Tori said. “I don’t think it should be forced upon anyone, which is why Book Club is a club for people to come and go as they want.”

She hopes that the club will continue after she graduates. Since there are so few ways to impact the school, Tori hopes to leave a lasting mark on the school through the legacy of the FHC Book Club.

With that final high school graduation just around the corner, Tori doesn’t want her senior year to pass her by without living it to the fullest. Whether it’s planning road trips weeks in advance or attending football games, Tori doesn’t want any reason to regret missed opportunities, rather than reminisce over favorite memories in the future.

“I don’t want to look back and regret something I should have done, something I didn’t do,” Tori said. “So that for me, that means getting out of your comfort zone and trying new things, going new places, meeting new people.”

Courtney Collar, Assistant Public Relations Manager

Courtney Collar is a junior and is entering her first year on staff for The Central Trend. She dances for both the FHC Dance Team and Imprint Dance Company....

1 Comment

One Response to “Tori Macleod, while busy, has no regrets”

1. Mr. Lareau on November 9th, 2018 7:44 pm

Very proud of you, Tori !

• Tori Macleod, while busy, has no regrets

Abby Sumner continues to work hard to make her dreams become a reality

Senior Mace Bont enters the modeling industry

Former Fighting Scot Peyton Bush becomes a Ranger

Skateboarding is more than a sport to Marcos Rodriguez

Sophomore Julia Beaumont explores the world

Allison Francisco cannot wait to see where soccer takes her

Italian exchange student Francesco Licci seizes opportunity and excels here at FHC

Sammy Postlewait’s love for soccer and wrestling encompasses his life

Zach Guikema has worked hard to fight the timid freshman stereotype

Ellie Bond makes her mark at FHC as the final Bond child