The staff of The Central Trend tackles fundraising with weekly doughnut sales

As each school year draws to a close, the hard-working staff of The Central Trend works for months to perfect the annual Senior Edition. Although the magazine is loved by the entirety of staff, students, and families of the school, it requires money that may be hard to come by. So this year, TCT advisor Ken George came up with a fundraising solution to solve this potential issue: doughnut sales. 

Every Tuesday and Thursday from September 2 until October 29, a few members from the staff of The Central Trend will buy dozens of doughnuts to sell to students in hopes of raising enough money to print the Senior Edition. At 7 am, the staff will set up a cozy “coffee shop” in the TCT room for students to come buy doughnuts and to sit and chat with friends in the morning. 

“It is certainly a dual-purpose event,” George said. “I’d like to raise money for the Senior Edition and give kids another chance to feel like school isn’t always simply school, school, school.”

As all students would agree, a year of school is most definitely a stressful experience. The workload can be taxing, but George and the rest of the staff have hopes that the doughnut sale will turn into not just a fundraiser, but a relaxing and comfortable part of students’ weekly routines. 

“As for the students, I think it will create a fun way for more people to get to know each other,” senior and Public Relations Manager Olivia Luplow said. “It can also serve as a way to relax before school which will help alleviate the stress that most, if not all, students face during the school day.”

Although the staff has high hopes for the fundraiser, the organizers have concerns that there may be a lack of participation from students in the beginning weeks. 

Waking up extra early to head to school is not something that most students choose to do every week, but the staff hopes that the warm, inviting environment and the delicious doughnuts will lure students out from their beds in the morning. 

“One challenge might be just trying to get it all started,” Olivia said. “We understand that this is a new idea, and there’s bound to be some flaws. Getting the word out to people is crucial, so that will be our main focus at first.”

Just like most events at the school, George believes that large participation from the upperclassmen will be what makes the biggest difference in getting other students to attend. As the new underclassmen look up to the seniors, seeing their participation in the sale will hopefully bring out the younger crowds who can help the staff meet their goals. 

“I think it would be super cool if a group of upperclassmen said, ‘Every Tuesday and Thursday let’s go to school at 7:10, go to Mr. George’s room, have a doughnut, and sit down to just talk about life,'” George said. “I really would love to see that happen, but it is going to require us to get the word out to everyone.”

Throughout the school, the staff of TCT will spread the word by announcing the dates of the sales on FX and posting articles with updates on the website. The staff has hopes that as more people begin to attend, The Central Trend will flourish right alongside its fundraisers. 

“I’m most excited about introducing more people to The Central Trend,” senior and Public Relations Manager Meredith Vanskiver said. “At least for me, I knew of TCT but didn’t truly understand it more until I had Mr. George as a teacher. I’m hoping that underclassmen can see the room and maybe get excited about the website as well.”   

As the fundraisers begin, the staff is prepared to make any necessary changes and improvements in order to reach success. Creating something brand new always brings challenges along with it, but the staff is excited to see the outcome of the sale that will make the production of the beloved Senior Edition possible.

“I think having a space to just hang out in the morning and spend some time with friends will do a lot,” Meredith said. “High school can be very stressful, so starting off your day in a fun, peaceful setting can do a world of a difference.”