The future you gave me, thank you

I+will+forever+miss+you%2C+but+when+you+come+back%2C+I+hope+you+are+proud.+

Allie Beaumont

I will forever miss you, but when you come back, I hope you are proud.

My future here is clear. Unlike my perspective on every other aspect of my life, at least here is still my home. 

I doubted its ability to comfort me after a year away, but those fears slowly vanished as the people who used to make it home moved on to do brighter and better things and eventually were replaced with equally beautiful souls. 

You still visit, and in those moments I am reminded of a time that I may never get back. Your hugs are still comforting though—they always have been. 

A room that used to intimidate me down to the very bones I stand on has now engulfed me in its lively existence, and I owe that all to you. 

I hope to one day do as you all have and help another lost soul find their home amongst the chaos we all revel in. 

Once again, I intend to sit in a circle and share my life story regardless of judgement. I embark upon this journey with one clear goal in mind. 

I speak my ambitions into the air hoping the right ears hear them. Obligations that I have because you all showed me it was possible to do more than what life expects of you. 

Truth be told, I don’t remember the switch between frightened freshman to steady sophomore, but I do know part of it can be heavily attested to this room. Especially, that stupid couch that holds all our stories, tears, and most importantly, is where our family sits. 

Truth be told, I don’t remember the switch between frightened freshman to steady sophomore, but I do know part of it can be heavily attested to this room.

Above that all-knowing couch is the place where your names lay. Like a checklist of the people who inspire me: Ashlyn Korpak, Abby Wright, Lynlee Derrick. Soon to be added: Emma Zawacki, Natalie Mix, and Avery Jordan. You all mean the world to me.

Your presence will forever linger as it was your home first, but rest easy knowing we will take care of it now.

From the odd mixture of Christmas and Halloween decorations that stay up all year to the broken coffee machine in the corner, this room will always welcome you, though it may no longer be set up in a circle, but rather little clumps of socially distant chairs that we all struggle immensely to stay in. 

However, that being said, in my mind, the room is frozen in its freshman year set up. We are grouped together and lovingly moving around the room with ease. The dim lights are welcoming, and the constant stream of Taylor Swift music rings in my head over and over. 

Thank you for showing me the future I want for myself. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to get there, and most of all, thank you to the past and current editors that are the ones who always made it feel like home.