Homecoming is better than Prom for students

The American high school system has two specific long-standing traditions that are important to the student body as a whole: Homecoming and Prom.

Homecoming is an annual school tradition celebrated around the beginning of the school year that is seen as a chance to “welcome home” students from their long summer break.

Prom, on the other hand, is celebrated around the end of the year and is seen as a chance to say farewell to the older students.

All in all, these practices have become ingrained into the school curriculum and infamous in Western media. In particular, Prom has become synonymous in the media with the peak of the American high school experience.

In movies like High School Musical, Mean Girls, and Grease we are taught the most anticipated and attended event for all students is Prom.

However, Homecoming—although less well-known in the media—could be argued to have a more impactful effect on students than its aforementioned competitor. 

For example, homecoming is traditionally celebrated in the context of a week or sometimes more—with events ranging from football games, parades, and competitions. In FHC, for example, we have the Powderpuff game or assembly events like the tug of war or lip sync.

Homecoming has its own court, much like Prom, but unlike Prom, which is exclusive to the older students—juniors and seniors—Homecoming includes all ages from the student body. School clubs also benefit more during Homecoming events, bringing in much-needed members and showcasing activities. 

The effect Homecoming has on the school year, and by extension, the student body cannot be denied. Does this mean that Prom has failed as an event? That it shouldn’t be practiced anymore?

Not exactly. While Homecoming brings the student body together in a way Prom simply cannot compete, there are still some effects the tradition accomplishes that Homecoming cannot recreate.

While homecoming brings the student body together in a way prom simply cannot compete, there are still some effects the tradition accomplishes that homecoming cannot recreate.

For example, the sense of nostalgia and kinship brought upon by the older grades moving on is uniquely suited to Prom. Whether we like it or not, sometimes events need to be exclusive to celebrate the importance of them.

Creating a chance for the seniors and juniors to congratulate themselves and congregate together allows the seniors to begin to transfer leadership to the younger students. While simultaneously encouraging these underclassmen to step up in the world, following the example of their predecessors.

Moreover, I would be lying if I said I didn’t like the clothes or accessories shopping as a result of the event. I’ve never had more fun than trying on dresses and hanging out with my friends planning our Prom closet and agenda.

Prom is the cherry on top of the sundae that is American high school, something to be cherished but not made into the main spectacle. 

Homecoming makes Prom what it is, an event to end all events. It connects students and teachers alike, adding the ice cream and sauce that defines the year, and helping sweeten the show before the closing act.