Musings of a pessimistic idealist: the flowers hate me

These+flowers+wilt%2C+dried+out+in+the+dark%2C+like+my+old+drafts+of+writing+I+discard.+
Timeless (from Pinterest)
These flowers wilt, dried out in the dark, like my old drafts of writing I discard.

The flowers hate me.

I have drunk every riverbed dry. 

I have skinned every tree of her leaves. 

I have whispered the wind’s secrets to the open fields, and now, the crickets are rabid with gossip. 

I have angered the sun, lit her in an irreconcilable inferno. 

I have fooled the innocent fawn and lost her in the cruelty of the woods.

I have made the earth quake in fear, tear herself apart, and wail for all the silence that I plagued her with.

I have taken her kin and wrung the color from them until they bled every flower’s pride from themselves to be forever condemned to the darkness of the unforgiving expanse beyond. 

I have taken her name and dethroned it with a severe jerk of the soft hair matted to her tender scalp, stolen it from her in harsh motion, left her bare and frigid. 

I have driven a javelin through her core, idly standing by as she bleeds her beauty away, drains into a pale capsule of all she once was and never will be again. 

I have plucked every petal and torn each across the delicate veins streaming in webs. 

I have dragged every petal through the muddied waters and burned them until the sky blackened in hate. 

I have split every stem and twisted it tortuously so that it snapped a hundred times over. 

I have stripped every root and dried them in the dying sun. 

I have made a menace of my name.

So, yes.

The flowers hate me. 

The blooming drafts of ideas untouched, unloved, withering pitifully, yet forever discarded on an old page tattooed with the ugly, indelible scars that burn a constant reminder into my every day.

The flowers I had once watered so patiently. The blooming drafts of ideas untouched, unloved, withering pitifully, yet forever discarded on an old page tattooed with the ugly, indelible scars that burn a constant reminder into my every day. 

I convince myself time and time again that the literature pouring from my mind really isn’t that. Instead, it’s some diluted mess of uncoordinated attempts, ridden with a disease of incapability. It’s revolting and convoluted like the hideous scrawls a few lines above this one, utterly and terribly foul-natured. It’s the unkept Hyde fed by the uncaring, ignoring Jekyll. My own monstrous Dorian Gray emerges in reflection of the writing I refuse to deem worthy. 

And so, I stopped watering the flowers, or so did that pessimistic creature rising from my reluctance. I twisted the potential of the flowers so deviously so as to justify my abandonment of them. They wouldn’t make it anyway. I didn’t realize I had been tossing water at them in the cold dark. I never showered them in the light I spread to others. I never offered even a glimpse. 

It turns out, the water wasn’t enough, yet to me, the flowers were terrible for their incompetence, my incompetence.

Maybe, the flowers never hated me.

Maybe, I hated the flowers, for I expected them to bloom without the sun.