TCT’s The Countless Thanks 2023: Olivia Rainey

To Ava Ackerman, for being my best friend before I knew you were my best friend.

You were my next-door neighbor when we were toddlers. Then you moved away. Since we were so young, we forgot about each other. In middle school, we found each other again and you were once again my friend. Finding out from my parents that we knew each other as toddlers was an absolute shocker, but it was truly fate for us to find each other again. Since middle school, you’ve become one of my closest friends. I enjoy every second of being with you, whether you’re practicing your dances, playing Fireboy and Watergirl or Papa’s Burgeria, making a fake speech in the lecture hall, or talking about the drama that occurs in our lives. We may be very different people, with our unalike interests, opposite humor, and contrasting ways in some of our behavior, but we make it work. We always have and always will. I find so much comfort in your presence and I can’t imagine how my life would be without you. There would be an unfilled void in my heart if you were not there to fill it with your charm and elegance. I’m so very grateful to have you in my life. My beautiful, wonderful best friend, I will love you forever.

To Anja Holsinger-Robinson, for being you

When we first met, you hated me. Your mom forced you to talk to me and she wanted you to befriend me. I’ll never forget the first time we interacted, it has become a core memory. At that time, we’d known each other for weeks and we had weekly horseback riding lessons scheduled together. We became best friends through our similar love for horses. One day, you finally gave in and we have been inseparable ever since. That was six years ago. Six unforgettable years ago. We have made so many great memories, both good and a few not-so-good. We’ve had each other’s backs and been there for each other. Even though in the show ring we are each other’s competition, we’ve always supported each other.

You have a special personality. It’s something indescribable because it is so unique and somewhat peculiar. I love it though and I don’t think that I would be able to live without it. You’ve been my best friend for so long and spent so much time together that I don’t remember life before you. It must’ve been boring. Now, we are a package deal. Whatever we do, we do it together. Although we’ve had our fights, as people do, we’ve always been able to forgive each other and get over it. I hope to spend the rest of my life with you, as a bestie, and continue to make the most precious and unforgettable memories with you. I love you infinitely.

To Nora Blok, for all your rants and sticking with me all these years

Bloko. Borax. Play-Doh. Shark Lover Bloko. Nora the Explorer. Nora. I have so many names that I call you, and that’s because I love you. You have been my friend since fifth grade and we got closer and have remained close since seventh grade. Becoming your friend is one of the best things that could have ever happened to me. You’re such a lovable person and I’m so grateful for every memory I have made with you. Everything from listening to your rants at lunch to getting ice cream and everything in between, I love being around you. You are such a bright and positive light in my life. Thank you for being such a great friend over the years, I can’t wait to make more memories with you. 

To Mary Holtgreive, for being my therapist and Massage Monday partner

Your laugh is contagious. Being one of the most positive, kind, caring, and funny people I know, I adore you. Being around you is a highlight in my day and I love all of the time we’ve spent together. I can feel myself constantly smiling when I’m around you, it’s hard to not. If there is a day when I don’t feel like smiling, you always closely listen to what is going on with me and give wonderful advice. You can always cheer me up on a bad day by telling jokes or showing me funny Instagram reels. Having yoga with you is so much fun, you are the perfect friend to have in that class with me. I am forever grateful for all the laughs and joy you have provided me with.

To Lily Bouma, for helping me survive English 11 and making me laugh in WFP

On the first day of senior year, I walked into Writing for Publication not thinking I would know anyone. Then, I spotted you already in the room, and a wave of relief washed over me. Although we went to the same elementary school, you and I had never been close. In our junior year, we became friends in Mrs. Chadderdon’s fifth-hour English 11 class. You, Megan, and I were all in the same hour first semester, but when Megan wasn’t in the same hour second semester, the only friend I had left was you, but that allowed me to have the wonderful opportunity to become closer with you and I’m so glad we get to have a class together this year. Thank you for all of your funny and sarcastic remarks, you help make Writing for Publication even more enjoyable than it already is

To Eddie Hollander, for the memes

Thank you for being my quality meme supplier. I never asked you to be, you have become my main source of good memes and random pictures. Thank you for all of the obnoxious Instagram reels, I don’t know why they exist, but they always make me laugh and never fail to be full of surprises. Also, thank you for being my boyfriend and dealing with me. We clicked ridiculously and shockingly fast, it feels like I’ve known you my whole life. The day I met you, you offered me an extremely charred marshmallow that I refused at the senior retreat. I had no idea that moment would lead to us being how we are now. Thank you for all of the wonderful quality time you’ve spent with me, I love every moment. Of course, also thank you for all of the memes.

To Berkleigh Blackport, we might not see each other as often as we used to, but when I see you, it’s like we haven’t missed a day apart

On the very first day we met in sixth-grade band, we clicked instantly. What was helpful was that we both rode horses. Off of that, our friendship grew into us becoming best friends. We spent so much time together and always had fun no matter what we were doing. Eventually, I even moved to the same barn that you were at. When we went to Disney World during sophomore year, there was no one else I’d have rather spent those five days with. In the past year, we haven’t seen each other as much. Different classes and different life schedules have torn us apart a bit. Even though I don’t ever see you at school, when I see you at the barn, it’s like we haven’t missed a day. We talk about the most absurd things and strange, but brilliant, ideas we have. Having a conversation with you is always so incredibly fun. Your funny and creative mind gives you the most out-of-pocket ideas and conversation topics that I never would have thought of.  I’m grateful to have such a smart and hilarious person in my life that I can act crazy with.

To Megan Boersema, for being a break from reality

We don’t have any classes together this year, we don’t work at the same place, and we don’t have the same hobbies, so I don’t see you very much. Whenever I’m with you though, all my worries or life problems seem to drift away. You are such a joyous and fun person to be around and I wish we got to see each other more often. Seeing you in the hallway always puts a smile on my face and when I’m with you, you never fail to put me in a good mood. Love you!

To Jack Murren, for giving me the playlist that inspired my love for punk rock

You’re my music guy. Your love and passion for music have played big roles in the music that I listen to. One day, you gave me a list of seven songs to listen to by a band called Blink-182. I did not like them. I may or may not have fallen asleep halfway through listening to them. Before that, although I was already a big fan of rock n’ roll, I had never really listened to punk rock before. A few weeks later, I decided to give Blink another try. This time I liked them a little more. Then I asked for you to give me a new playlist that you willingly shared. As I began to get more and more into the music similar to your favorites, I was finding and adding more songs to the playlist. Along with those, I also added all of the songs you put on your Instagram note and then the rest of the songs I discovered on my own into a playlist that is now seemingly endless. Thank you for having such good music taste and all around being such a good friend. You were there whenever I had a rough day and needed someone to rant to. Your jokes and funny little comments are often random and surprising, but they always succeed at putting a smile on my face and making me laugh. We’ve been through a lot of ups and downs, but I’m glad we’ve been able to stick through the bad and appreciate the good. I hope you know that I cherish every moment.

To Jenna Lowell, for helping me in Algebra 2 and being my accounting buddy

I only became friends with you last year, but I don’t think I would be sane without you. You helped me when I was struggling with Algebra 2 in junior year and made that dreadful class enjoyable and entertaining. You can always make me laugh and you’ve become someone I can confide in. Sharing about our weekends in our first-hour accounting class makes me look forward to Mondays, and sharing about our nights makes me look forward to every day. I’m able to talk about anything and everything with you which is wonderful because you’re the first person that I talk to almost every day. Thank you for listening to all of the random and spontaneous things I have to say and for being such a genuine friend. I DON’T HAVE A PICTURE OF US, I’M SORRY.

To Dia Sriram, for being the greatest next-door neighbor ever

I love doing everything with you. Late-night movies. Driveway chats. Sharing after-school snacks. Talking about literally everything. Comforting each other after a long day. You and I can talk for hours and hours and not be bored, it has been proven time and time again. Our parents gave up on saying no to us hanging out. It’s so convenient having one of my best friends live next door. We can hang out whenever we want as long as we’re free and we can often make last-minute plans with ease. You have become my biggest confidant. I tell you everything about everything. You are such a good listener. We used to not like each other for years before becoming friends, but now we are about as close to each other as two friends can get. Thank you for putting up with me all these years, I don’t get how you’ve done it. I’ll love you forever.

To Heather Camp, for being the trainer that got me to where I am today

Being an equestrian is hard, but finding the right trainer is harder. I got lucky and found the right trainer. Heather, you have taught me more in the past three years than I had learned in the previous seven. I have learned so much from you and you have helped me accomplish so many things, including many of my goals. Without your expertise, Fitz and I would not be where we are today. You have challenged me and pushed me to help improve my riding and it has certainly all paid off. The support and genuine care for me that you have provided these past few years has made you my favorite trainer I’ve ever had, and I’ve gone through a lot of trainers. I’ve never had the opportunity to express how grateful and appreciative I am for everything you’ve done for me, but, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. I know our time together is soon unfortunately coming to an end. I wish more than anything that it wasn’t. I never want to leave you. I hope to someday start training with you again. Thank you for everything. 

To Claire Mast, Reed Dixon, Ella Weichelt, and Nora Blok (again)

The second-hour of my second semester of junior year was spent in the art room for Drawing and Painting. With the four of you at the table, that class never got boring. I met Claire in first-semester fourth-hour World History last year, and we became friends very quickly. I’ve been friends with Reed and Nora since fifth grade. I met Ella through horseback riding since we were at the same barn. Together, the five of us made the ultimate art class table. We had so much fun together and kept each other entertained while working on Mrs. Martus’ projects that she had assigned. After having no friends in my first-semester art class, I was so thankful that you all were in my second-semester class.

To Fitz, for being my soulmate in horse form

Fitz, although you cannot read, you deserve to be included in this. Oh horsey, you and I have been through so much. In a month, we’ll have had each other for three years. You are the world’s biggest grumpy pants, but you are my favorite thing on this whole planet. You put through my screw-ups and mistakes while always trying your best. We have learned so much and grown together into a beautiful partnership and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. I’ve learned so much from you and I can’t wait to learn more. You are my dream horse. My heart horse. We’ve had our ups and downs, we’ve had our big wins and big disasters. When you nearly bit my lip off, I thought I’d never forgive you, but I did. The next day. You have been such an important part of my life and I wouldn’t have made it this far without you. You have made my younger self’s dreams come true. My precious horsey, Fitz, I love you bud.