Valentine’s Day is far too overrated

Some of the unnecessary things that people do for Valentines Day
Pinterest
Some of the unnecessary things that people do for Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day is a weird “holiday.” I put quotes around it because I don’t particularly understand why it’s even celebrated as a holiday. Most people use Valentine’s Day as a reason to celebrate their significant other. My question is, why not just celebrate with their partners every day? Why would someone need to limit appreciating their partner to one minuscule day?

Sure, a holiday for love is good, but I really don’t see why Valentine’s Day is such an exciting thing when, honestly, there’s not that much to it, especially for people who aren’t in relationships. 

I say there’s not much to it because there’s not really a way to celebrate your partner other than just going out to dinner with them. Like I said, that’s a lovely thing to do for your partner, but it’s weird to think that it seems like appreciating the people who love you is being limited to just this one day. 

Valentine’s Day is overrated because there’s nothing that exciting about it, yet in stores, they put out heart-shaped candy the day after Christmas. People get so excited that they start hanging paper hearts throughout the school and start talking about it months in advance, but when the actual day comes, nothing particularly exciting happens for anybody. 

People get so excited that they start hanging paper hearts throughout the school and start talking about it months in advance, but when the actual day comes, nothing particularly exciting happens for anybody.

There isn’t that much of a reason for Valentine’s Day to even exist. The last time I even really thought about Valentine’s Day was when I was in elementary school when the whole class just handed out treats to each other for a little Valentine’s party. When my class celebrated, I didn’t even know what the actual backstory was for Valentine’s Day because it was never taught to me. It still hasn’t been taught to me. The only reason I know the backstory is because I read about it in a book, and even then, it wasn’t very helpful. Nobody was ever taught about why Valentine’s Day is celebrated in the first place.

I do sound kind of like someone who’s against love and someone incredibly pessimistic, and I do think people should celebrate their significant others. I don’t feel like it should only be celebrated once a year. 

Just like every year, now that Valentine’s Day is coming up, I see people both single and not single hyping it up. They’re all excited to celebrate with their friends and partners, which I think is great that they’re excited, but once it comes, nobody is going to do much other than just give their friends or partners heart-shaped candies.

It’s great that everyone chooses to appreciate their friends and significant others during Valentine’s Day, but that should be a thing that happens daily. Everyone should work to appreciate the people that are surrounding them instead of only appreciating them because of one day. 

Valentine’s Day is something that is way too overhyped that once it comes, it seems incredibly underwhelming. People celebrating it isn’t the weird part; it’s that it’s incredibly overrated that there honestly seems like there’s not much of a point to it because celebrating the people that are in our lives shouldn’t be limited to just one day. Valentine’s Day is far too overrated.