Declan McKenna’s newest album is sweetly nostalgic of summer

This bright, colorful cover is for Declan McKennas new album, What Happened to the Beach?
Spotify
This bright, colorful cover is for Declan McKenna’s new album, What Happened to the Beach?

If you’re like me, you also found Declan McKenna from “Brazil.” The bouncy guitar hook reeled me in, and I was caught in the catchy melody, playing it on repeat as the perfect summer hit.

Naturally, I decided to give his newest album, What Happened to the Beach?, a listen. I expected a similar upbeat indie pop song with a catchy guitar melody like that of “Brazil.” While I did not quite find the same sound as “Brazil” in this new collection, several of the released songs did not disappoint. 

Starting with the first track, “WOBBLE” boasts a fun guitar melody that the vocal line follows in a catchy song. The lyrics end with “’Cause life’s really changed me / I used to cry at home all night / Now I might in the sunshine.” It’s a happy tune of a song which is all the more fitting for the theme of having fun through sadness in a silly mood. The song is very catchy from the beginning and actually changes a lot in its sound as the song progresses, matching the lyrics’ story of change. “WOBBLE” is a must-listen for indie-folk fans. 

“Elevator Hum” builds up with a variety of sounds complementing drawn-out vocal notes that match the sensation of spacing out on a sunny car drive. The beat begs your head to bop along, and when the loud bass joins in during the second chorus, the song is much more than just catchy; it is danceable and energizing. I always love a loud guitar bass riff, and it is the perfect touch to this song. 

Overall, the album is very much reminiscent of the summer, which fits perfectly to the title of What Happened to the Beach?

“Mulholland’s Dinner and Wine” has a cool, softer tone with light, layered vocals punctuated by a staccato synth beat. It’s a catchy rhythm that meshes well with the slower song and its carefree theme. The song starts with the lyrics “I found love for the little things in life / I’m not satisfied with what I want.” I love this theme. It adds a bit of a careless tone to the negativity that may be happening. So while it might not be as upbeat as the other tracks on the album, this song definitely earns a spot as one of my favorites. 

“Nothing Works” has a buzzed tone to the vocals that is reminiscent of Weezer’s style. The chorus is catchy and the punctuating claps add seamlessly to the happy 2010s summer mood that the song creates. This song, too, has upbeat music set to more pessimistic lyrics: “I try to fix myself, but nothing works.” The added buzzing static noises towards the end as the sounds fall into add cleverly to the theme that “Nothing Works.”

Overall, the album is very much reminiscent of the summer, which fits perfectly with the title of What Happened to the Beach? These songs are the collection of upbeat summer sounds I needed in the middle of the winter to remember the sunny days and look forward to the upcoming months until I can play these summer tunes again, maybe even at the beach.