This year’s Super Bowl halftime show was the opposite of what I expected

William H. Kelly III/ via Getty Images
A picture taken of the haltime show

I’m not really a fan of Usher, and I don’t choose to listen to his music, but I’ve definitely heard some of his songs here and there. When I heard that he was going to be doing the halftime show, I wasn’t necessarily excited, but I also wasn’t disappointed. I don’t really know what exactly I was expecting, but I definitely didn’t expect what was about to happen.

I was sitting in the basement of my friend’s house when the halftime show started. We all got quiet to watch the halftime show except for commenting on strange things that were going on. Every year, the halftime shows are very unique, but this show was unique on a whole other level.

It started off mostly normal. Usher opened with a song that I had never heard, called “Caught Up.” About 45 seconds into the halftime show, it had already gotten extremely chaotic. There was a marching band in the background swinging their instruments around, there were dancers in all sorts of different costumes and styles that really had nothing to do with the other costumes. The costumes were sort of what I expected, but it just didn’t feel the most reasonable to have all those different outfits. But then again, it was the Super Bowl halftime show.

The second song was “U Don’t Have To Call,” which I also had never heard. Nothing too chaotic happened during that song, but at the end of the song, he said a beautiful message. Usher said, “But if you do call, know that God answers prayers. They said I wouldn’t make it. They said I wouldn’t be here today, but I am. Hey Mama, we made it. Now this, this is for you.” I really do think that it was a beautiful message to say because he was showing how his dreams came true, partly thanks to his mom. I also think that it was a good transition into the next song called “Superstar.”

After his message, he told the crowd to sing “Superstar” along with him and then somehow almost perfectly harmonized with the entire crowd. I’ve heard this song once or twice, so I didn’t know it too well. Overall, watching Usher perform “Superstar” was a mostly-normal experience compared to the past Super Bowl halftime shows. 

After “Superstar,” he transitioned into the song “Love in This Club,” which I’ve heard once or twice. Usher performing “Love in This Club” was also a pretty normal experience because nothing particularly crazy happened.

After performing “Love in This Club,” the camera panned over to Alicia Keys playing her song “If I Ain’t Got You” on the piano. She played the piano for a little bit as Usher joined her in singing the song. 

When Alicia stopped playing the piano, Usher started singing his song, “My Boo” featuring Alicia Keys. They started doing their duet while dancing around a little bit near the piano. Nothing too crazy happened during “My Boo,” either. 

After “My Boo,” I don’t think anything too crazy happened until the singer H.E.R came out on stage, followed by dancers on roller skates skating to the song “Bad Girl.” H.E.R. sang the first part of the song until Usher came out also on roller skates. From that point on, I think it was total chaos.

From that point on I think it was total chaos.

Somewhere between H.E.R. and “Bad Girl,” it switched to the song “OMG” featuring will.i.am. Usher and the dancers skated around the stage for that song, and then it went into the song “Turn Down for What,” which almost every single person that I know knows. The people surrounding the stage started dancing around, and it again got extremely chaotic. 

After “Turn Down for What,” it went to the song “Yeah!” featuring Lil Jon and Ludacris, which is another song that almost every person I know knows. During “Yeah!” The camera followed Lil Jon, Ludacris, and Usher around the stage for a while with the dancers, and the entire crowd went crazy. “Yeah!” was the final song of the extremely chaotic Superbowl halftime show. 

Overall, I think the whole halftime show was what seemed to be very disorganized. Every halftime show is kind of extremely random and spontaneous; it’s definitely something that would be impossible to expect. While I was watching the halftime show, I didn’t know where to look, and it got incredibly scattered around.

The halftime show was overall a decent show even though it was extremely chaotic. It was very entertaining to watch and was worth the watch, even if it wasn’t what I expected.