The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess by Chappell Roan is a phenomenal debut album

Chappell Roan’s Instagram
Chappell Roan’s album cover for The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess.

The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess by Chappell Roan is an amazing debut album covering her experiences with heartbreak, love, and embracing her queer identity.

The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess was a hit from the start. The album was officially released on Sept. 22, 2023, and many of the songs quickly became recognized as popular TikTok sounds for a while. The Missouri native’s album has a very whimsical, pop vibe to it that makes me want to get up and dance along or will lead me to sobbing on my bedroom floor. 

The album is a collection of fourteen amazing songs that Roan created over four years. Many of the songs in her album have a sort of 80s synth-pop and early 2000s-type vibe; her overall aesthetic is heavily influenced by drag queens and the queer community.

“Femininomenon”

From the start, Roan starts with a song that tackles the struggles of online dating and not settling, along with gender stereotypes and double standards in the dating world between men and women. The song brings to light the fact that women should not be forced to conform for them to be seen as valuable partners and that being mistreated should not be tolerated. Despite its sad undertones, the song itself is energizing, loud, and perfect to dance along to.

“Red Wine Supernova”

“Red Wine Supernova” is personally one of my favorite songs on the track that follows Roan’s infatuation towards another girl. I would describe the song itself as glittery and the sort of thing to make me want to get up and dance along with my friends. Throughout it, she uses raunchy lyrics and a glittery aesthetic to capture the feeling of having feelings for another girl.

“After Midnight”

In the bouncy song “After Midnight,” Roan displays her rebellious spirit and embraces the thrill of the night, no longer wanting to maintain a false facade. Throughout the song, she tackles the need to break free from social expectations and chase after her desires. The song feels like a shout to live in the moment and plunge into the night’s excitement while stepping outside one’s comfort zone. Like her previous songs on the track, this one also has a fun dance-party vibe to it that gives a burst of energy.

The song feels like a shout to live in the moment and plunge into the night’s excitement while stepping outside one’s comfort zone.

“Coffee” & “Casual”

“Coffee” is the first slower song of the album that I characterize as a sort of pop ballad. The song is much slower and sadder than the previous ones in the album. The song is a blend of complicated emotions and how Roan feels about meeting up with an ex while trying to get over them. The song tackles the feeling of letting go of someone special and the complex emotions that come along with it. In the song, Roan also covers her desire for simplicity with the situation and her wish to maintain a relationship with her ex but also be able to move on.

“Casual” is the second slower song on the album that covers a complicated relationship and the uncertainty around it despite her want for it to be something more. This one is one of Roan’s sadder songs but still contains a sort of explicitness to it that Roan sneaks into a lot of her songs.

“Super Graphic Ultra Modern Girl”

Roan’s “Super Graphic Ultra Modern Girl” is yet another song that covers rejecting societal norms and not settling for less than what she deserves. The song is big on women’s empowerment and self-expression and displays Roan’s desire to meet someone who is also not conforming to stereotypes. The song, in general, just encourages individuals to embrace their individuality and not worry about conforming while there are so many other non-conforming people to surround themselves with.

Chappel Roan’s entire fourteen-song album is a phenomenal mixture of emotions and music. Between her perfect dance along to songs and her fun lyrics, the self-proclaimed “Midwest Princess” is definitely worth a listen.