Pet fashion may seem tacky, but it can add to any aesthetic

ESSENCE
Rapper Ceelo Green matching with his stylish dog, who is sporting a jacket.

Animals are not accessories and should never be treated as such. However, there is no reason that pets should not have their own sense of style that complements the owner’s outfit. My dog, Leon, is a family pet—and as many have pointed out, families that already have kids seem to understand that pets and kids occupy two different spheres. As a result, Leon has the fashion sense of a dog who was allowed to dress himself; apart from a Halloween costume, Leon remains underdressed. 

However, my aunt’s dog, Sasha, always arrives at our house in style. From matching hoodies with my aunt to puffer vests in the winter, Sasha is always dressed to a T. So, I began to appreciate the creativity that can go into styling pets as well.

Of course, the animals’ comfort always comes first, but if the pet seems calm and alright with being dressed up, there is little harm in spending time with pets in a trendy manner. 

I will always have an affinity for the rugged-style doggy attire. Leather collars with metal buckles are my favorite, although they tend not to mesh well with the soft face of my lap dog Bernedoodle. However, especially for short-coated hunting dogs, these collars add a rustic vibe that can go from the log cabin to the lakeside.

When it comes to jackets, though, my tastes are less specific. I think both industrial, high-contrast vests for practicality and cozy fleeces for comfort are impeccable for different breeds and uses. While double-coated breeds may not need (or want) the added insulation of heat-trapping outerwear, reflective or brightly-colored vests may benefit the dog and the owner on walks at night or in heavily wooded areas.

No attire should inhibit the animal’s movement, so the majority of the time, an accessory does more than enough.

However, as far as looks go, instead of practicality, less is more. No attire should inhibit the animal’s movement, so the majority of the time, an accessory does more than enough. Bandanas, bows, and bowties are the way to go—seasonal, festive wear is always eye-catching and endearing. Matching a solid or simply patterned accessory to the dog’s coat or owner’s outfit is also a cohesive and simple enhancer.

And, while some may find it too “dog mom” or cringe, I am a sucker for matchy-matchy owners and pets. One of the best purchases my mom and I made was matching hoodies for my aunt and her pup. Both hoodies are soft and simple, so they are easy to wear in the house or out on a crisp walk. Sasha might be my aunt’s only child, but the easy and laid-back match assures that their bond is evident without being over the top. When done right, matching outfits for owner and canine can be awe-inspiring. 

The final aspect that ties a look together for both pet and owner alike is the leash used on walks. Leashes—which should always be in use in public areas—can vary in material, design, and color, but my all-time favorite is anything that is a basic solid with a pop, such as rhinestones or studs. Since it is a handheld component for the owner, color matches for going out amplify this even further.

As someone who thinks of their dog as a dog and not a person, I don’t commonly dress Leon up. But, I can’t help but have a glint of admiration for city dwellers who are fashion-forward alongside man’s best friend. So, spicing up a pet’s wardrobe might be the best way to make a statement on daily walks.