Debut album “A Gradual Decline In Morale” by Kim Dracula is a whimsical disorienting experience

Scott Legato/Getty Images
Kim Dracula performs at Pine Knob Music Theatre on July 26, 2023 in Clarkston, Michigan.

Kim Dracula’s album A Gradual Decline In Morale is an abnormal mix of genres that gives you a sense of whimsical whiplash while you listen.

The twenty-track album was released July 14, 2023, and is around fifty minutes of pure confusing enjoyable chaos. The track complete with a commercial break is nothing less than a wild ride of mixed genres and ridiculous sounds that come together to make a wonderful chaotic, and confusing album. All the songs on the track seem alike but different at the same time, while all covering different topics.

Dracula themselves were originally part of the Australian heavy metal band Jesterpose as the vocalist, the band had formed in 2017 and released only an EP titled COVID-19. Dracula also gained a lot of traction before releasing A Gradual Decline In Morale due to their various metal covers of other popular songs like Paparazzi by Lady Gaga.

“Land Of The Sun”

Kim Dracula’s Land Of The Sun is for sure one of my favorite songs on the track. The song itself seems to be about a sort of dissatisfaction and distrust with a particular situation. The artist sings about this dishonest place and the desire for something real, something that’s not deceptive and disillusioning. The song has strong themes of feeling trapped and unsatisfied with one’s environment. Despite the strong theme of sadness and despair in the song, it does not sound like a sad song. The song’s genre seems to be ever-changing throughout it which is very entertaining and surprisingly enjoyable to listen to.

“Divine Retribution”

Divine Retribution is a more aggressive song, exploring themes of revenge, and anger. Throughout the song, there are implications of rebelling against societal norms that the narrator feels have failed. The lyrics seem to convey the sense that the narrator has taken matters into their own hands for revenge and that they will go to extreme lengths to get what they want. The song itself is a perfect blend of chaotic and aggressive that I enjoyed listening to. Throughout the track also tackles the idea that drastic actions must be taken to ever be heard, and the complex emotions of feeling powerless in our world and system.

The song itself is a perfect blend of chaotic and aggressive that I enjoyed listening to.

“Reunion And Reintegration”

The track Reunion And Reintegration seems to be an anthem that conveys personal growth and overcoming adversities. In the song, the artist sings about proving themselves and wanting to be heard. This track just like Divine Retribution is characterized by a sort of aggressive sound that feels very confrontational. While remaining confrontational, the song appears to celebrate empowerment and inspire to overcome challenges and assert one’s perspective

Kim Draculas’ A Gradual Decline In Morale is worth a listen. The superfluity of the style keeps one listening and curious about what the next song will be like. The album filled with enjoyable absurdity genuinely surprised me but kept me listening throughout the whole twenty-track album. Kim Dracula’s A Gradual Decline in Morale is something of a whimsically aggressive disorienting experience that I think everyone should at least give a try to listening to.