Irish Wish made me wish to shut it off

Netflix
The cover photo and movie poster for Irish Wish on Netflix

If I’m being frank, I hated this movie.

Irish Wish popped up in my Netflix feed a few weeks ago and I knew this would be a ride. I went into this movie with an open mind and low expectations. My expectations certainly held true. 

At my first viewing of the trailer, I was drawn in by the scenery. The movie is based in Ireland, hence the title, in which a book editor, Madeline Kelly, portrayed by Lindsay Lohan, is in love with the author of said book. Her best friend ends up getting engaged to him, so Maddie has to put her feelings aside to be the bridesmaid. A few days before the wedding in Ireland, she makes a wish for true love, and her whole world is shifted.

The storyline was decent but very predictable. It had some twists and turns which added some dimension to the story, but overall I could tell what was going to happen before I watched the movie. The trailer had given most of the story away which defeated the entire purpose of me watching the movie in the first place. 

A plothole here and there was blatantly obvious and distracting. A whole scene and plot line is that Maddie loses her luggage at the airport, but literally, two minutes later she has changed her outfit. I know the other characters could have given her clothes, but it feels off-putting because it’s still the same day. 

The runtime was an hour and 30 minutes, an hour and 30 minutes I can never get back.

I despised the main character. She was awful. This is the second Netflix rom-com movie I have viewed with Lindsay Lohan, and that movie was nowhere near as bad as this one. Maddie created her own problems throughout the movie; she made me quite annoyed. Her dialogue was the worst of the entire cast, with insanely cringy lines that no normal person ever actually says. 

I was about two minutes into this movie, and I already wanted to turn it off. The relationships that Maddie has feel so incredibly forced and fake, along with the abundance of utterly unrealistic events that would most likely never happen. Her scarf gets caught up in the car door as she is leaving, and as it drives away, it spins her in a perfect circle as the scarf majestically flies away. 

The runtime was an hour and 30 minutes, an hour and 30 minutes I can never get back. Truly, I will not be viewing this movie again. However, there are probably two redeeming qualities. First off, the entire set of the movie was beautiful. It shows many scenic and iconic places throughout the country of Ireland. I have visited Ireland before, so it made me smile to see some of these places. The Cliffs of Moher were a predominant feature throughout, along with an abundance of little villages and open fields.

Secondly, there was a scene in a pub in which I finally felt like I was watching a decent movie, the chemistry between all the extras felt real and it was joyful to watch. Other than that, any time Lindsay Lohan was on-screen I just wanted it to be over. 

I hope that in the future, there can be some less cheesy and less predictable romance movies, but that’s just a wish.