JV baseball takes both games from Greenville, wins conference

Needing two victories to clinch the OK White conference championship, the FHC JV baseball team did just that, defeating Greenville 12-8 and 11-6.

In the first of two five-inning games, the Rangers got off to a hot start in the top of the first inning as 6 of the first 8 batters reached base. Sophomores Alec Gast and Jonah Spates both drove in 2 in the inning, helping FHC to score 6 runs in the top of the first. Sophomore Sean Macleod started for FHC, and he struggled through the first two innings, allowing Greenville to score 8 runs. Trailing 8-6 after two innings, the Rangers got a run back in the third to make it 8-7. The Rangers were able to score 5 runs in the final two innings thanks to some big hits by sophomores Maguire Mahacek and Logan Vanlente. Sean pitched very well over the final 3 innings, allowing just 2 base runners and striking out 4 Yellow Jacket batters, clinching a 12-8 victory for the Rangers.

In game number two, the Rangers’ first 7 batters were able to all reach base, and they all came around to score. Alec had an RBI base hit, and freshman Joey Seurnyck cleared the bases with a 3 RBI double. Sophomore Evan Van Artsen started for the Rangers, and he was able to work well out of trouble, only allowing 6 runs over the five innings. Thanks to 3 straight errors by Greenville, FHC was able to plate 3 more in the top of the third. Jonah Spates added 3 RBI, helping along with Joey to seal an 11-6 victory.

With the victories, the Rangers improve to 11-8 on the season and clinch the OK White conference title. FHC will be back in action Wednesday as it hosts Greenville looking for the three-game series sweep.