JV baseball ends season on high note, dominates at conference tournament

After winning the OK White regular season conference championship, the FHC JV baseball team was able to sweep the regular season and postseason, as they defeated Northview and Greenville comfortably to win the conference tournament.

In the semifinal round against Northview, the Rangers sent freshman Joey Seurynck to the mound, and he was excellent.  Joey pitched five innings, allowed just 3 hits, 4 walks, 1 run, and struck out 9 Wildcat batters. The Wildcats’ pitcher was also throwing very well early, as he allowed just 3 Ranger batters to reach base through the first three innings. But in the bottom of the fourth inning, the Rangers struck for 4 runs. Sophomore Sean Macleod hit a base hit to start the inning, fellow sophomores Logan Vanlente and Evan Van Artsen were able to work a walk. After a passed ball scored Sean, sophomore Isaac Gurley hit a base hit to score both Evan and Logan and made the score 3-0 FHC. Isaac later was able to come around to score, and the Rangers led 4-0 after four innings. After Northview was able to score a run in the top of the fifth, FHC was able to get a run back in both the fifth and sixth to up the lead to 6-1.

After 5 great innings from Joey, the Rangers turned to sophomore Maguire Mahacek to get the final 6 outs of the game. Maguire made quick work of the Wildcats, allowing just one batter to reach base, and finished off Northview to seal a 6-1 win for the Rangers. Not only did the Rangers advance to the championship with a dominant performance, but they also did so with their best pitcher, Sean, available to pitch in the title bout.

Sean pitched all seven innings of the title game against Greenville, striking out 4, allowed just 5 hits, 4 runs, and 2 walks. The Ranger offense came out hot, scoring 5 runs in the opening frame. Sophomore Nathan Sigg helped get FHC on the board, as he hit a double that scored fellow sophomore, Jeremy James. Sean later helped his own cause, as he as well as sophomore Alec Gast hit RBI singles to help stretch the FHC lead. After one inning of play, the Rangers led 5-0. In the bottom of the third, the Rangers struck again. Logan and Alec both came around to score on base hits by sophomores Dawsen Beach and Jonah Spates respectively. Dawsen later came around to score on a fielder’s choice, and FHC’s lead was 8-0 after three.

After Greenville was able to score 3 runs in the top of the fourth, the Rangers responded with 4 more in the bottom of the fifth inning. Maguire had a big RBI single, and Logan had a 2 RBI double to spark the big inning, giving the Rangers a commanding 12-3 lead. After Sean allowed the first 2 Greenville batters to reach in the top of the seventh, including one of them scoring, he was able to set down the next 3 without a problem to seal the conference tournament with a resounding 12-4 win.

With the victories, the Rangers finish the season at 14-9 and sweep the conference regular season and tournament championships.