Sammy Postlewait’s hat trick propels boys varsity soccer over Greenville 4-2

Tommy Spaletto

More stories from Tommy Spaletto

Ally Francisco
May 22, 2020
Kelsey Toole
May 17, 2020
Aspen Strauss
April 29, 2020
Ella Kelly
April 24, 2020

Coming off of a big conference win against Northview on Tuesday, the boys varsity soccer team hoped to carry its momentum into Greenville to square off against the Yellow Jackets. FHC succeeded, picking up a 4-2 win on the road. Senior Sammy Postlewait, per usual, was very active on offense as he scored his second hat-trick of the season. Senior Micah Gschwind would round out the scoring for FHC, putting in the final goal with just under ten minutes to go in the game.

The Rangers started a bit slow on offense. Despite getting open on some great passes from the midfield, the FHC forwards couldn’t find the back of the net in the opening minutes. The team was able to turn it around after some very close calls when a Sammy goal put the Rangers up with 25 minutes left in the first half. After the goal, Greenville started to get some momentum and started to find holes in the Ranger defense.

Junior Mason Corcoran and senior Ethan Hale did a great job clearing balls down the stretch during the remaining minutes of the first half. Senior Richie Alvarez did an excellent job of trying to speed up a slow FHC offense that still couldn’t quite finish and have the same offensive production they had last time against Greenville. The Yellow Jackets were able to sneak a goal with just minutes remaining in the half to even things out at 1-1. FHC and Greenville went into halftime all tied up, which made room for a very interesting second half. 

Facing adversity from a slow first half, the Rangers responded well. Senior goalie Kyler Williams made some big saves early on when Greenville came out with some intensity. Freshman Noah Gleason was able to break through the Yellow Jacket defense to try and get FHC’s offense going, but his shot was saved. Just a couple of minutes later, Sammy sank a free kick to give the Rangers the lead and supply some offensive production for the team.

Five minutes later, Sammy was lined up for another free kick, and the Yellow Jacket coach decided not to set up a wall in an attempt to block the shot. This turned out to hurt Greenville, as Sammy drilled his third goal of the game from near midfield to extend FHC’s lead to 3-1. Sammy’s goal sparked new energy in the team; Micah drove down the field, beating multiple defenders and ultimately putting in another goal for the Rangers. FHC maintained its 4-1 lead for a while, but the Jackets got a goal late in the half to cut the lead to 4-2. The Rangers finished out the remaining minutes strong en route to a 4-2 victory on the road. 

This win puts the Rangers at 4-5-3 overall and 4-3-1 in the conference. FHC is now third in the conference, behind Cedar Springs and the arch-rival Forest Hills Northern. The Rangers hope to find more success against Cedar Springs this time around when they take on the Red Hawks on Tuesday after losing 6-1 in their previous matchup.