The Twenty-first Century: Why Online Classes are the Future

The twentieth century. A place of technological feats and revolutionary triumphs. A world that revolves around the power of a keyboard and the click of a button. The inexorable parade of new advances is unfolding on many fronts. Almost every new development is billed as a breakthrough and the protracted list of next big things expands at a monumental rate. Included on this developing list is the new reality of education. In earlier generations, receiving an education meant awaking at an unfathomable hour,sitting in a classroom listlessly listening to the teacher’s monotonous voice spill out an over-rehearsed lecture. Now, something as simple as asking your neighbor to borrow a pencil or raising your hand could become obsolete. In this proliferation of online education, nearly 620,000 students have traded in their wooden desks for online log-in screens during the 2014-2015 school year.

With this new advancement in technology comes new territory. Literally. Students are now able to participate in lessons from the comfort of their own homes. Commercials that feature online students vigorously studying in their pajamas only skim the surface of the many fundamental benefits of taking online classes. With no actually physical class sessions, students can avoid many of the trivial matters. Students will no longer have to fight traffic,scavenge for the limited amount of parking spaces, or miss essential family time.

The naive and ignorant may argue that online classes hinder one of the most imperative life-skills: communication. This cliche, however, is incorrect. While there is contradictory evidence about the participation of students in online classes versus that in a traditional classroom setting, one thing proves to be correct: they offer an alternative for the more reserved and reticent students. These students are able to fully engage in class discussions with more ease than a physical classroom. A student doesn’t have to speak in front of the entire classroom or raise his or her hand to offer input. Now, communication is effortless and less intimidating than ever. With the push of a button, the student’s question or remark is simultaneously shared with their virtual classroom and they are able to gain instant feedback.

With the continuous advances, today’s generation calls for the most innovative and technologically-advanced individuals. Online classes mold the next generation’s ingenious students by offering the most resourceful software and programs. They allow students the opportunity to develop their technological skill-set through assignments, discussion forums, and group projects. Students can learn to connect with one another online and with information in substantial and meaningful ways. The students become proficient and are able to navigate today’s most technologically advanced systems. The beneficial skills students gain in their online courses are in high demand by employers and translate to many professions outside of high school. Online Classes prepare students for the future. They allow students to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

Online courses have revolutionized the educational field by making the educational experience more student-centered and individualized than ever before. The continuously developing reputation of online learning has helped fuel its expansion, as initial reluctance and skepticism has faltered in the face of evidence that validates that online learning can be just as effective as face-to-face education.