Ginny & Georgia is a Netflix series of melodrama and skepticism

It’s always hard being ‘the new girl,’ and for sophomore Ginny Miller, (Antonia Gentry) in Ginny & Georgia, this phrase is nothing out of the ordinary. 

Ginny has cycled through tons of high schools in tons of different cities; yet, every single one of them has felt temporary. And her mother, Georgia Miller (Brianne Howey), has moved her and her family numerous times for inexplicable reasons.

Specifically, the reason for the move is the death of Georgia’s husband, Kenny. Allegedly, Kenny had died of a heart attack when behind the wheel. This tragic event made Georgia want to start fresh with her family, hence why they made their move to a small town in Massachusetts: Wellsbury.

In the new Netflix Original, Ginny leads her viewers through the ups and downs of her new high school, all the way from romance to rumors to rowdiness. 

However, this school, in specific, is different; Ginny feels at home.

This feeling is very uncommon for Ginny, for she always feels like the odd one out. Nonetheless, right off the bat, Ginny is reeled into her neighbor’s friend group in which they call themselves ‘MAN.’ ‘M’ for Maxine (Sara Waisglass), ‘A’ for Abby (Katie Douglas), and ‘N’ for Nora (Chelsea Clark). But in spite of their friend group’s newest addition, they’re now labeled as ‘MANG’ for the sake of Ginny. 

Feeling included made Ginny feel on top of the world, as this was such an unusual experience for her; she was happy. As Ginny’s friendships grew stronger, she and her mom’s relationship weakened. 

It’s always hard being ‘the new girl,’ and for sophomore Ginny Miller, this phrase is nothing out of the ordinary.

Ginny and Georgia have never possessed the tightest bond; they were polar opposites. Georgia liked to put on red lipstick and a skirt while Ginny felt the most comfortable in a t-shirt and joggers. It would be assumed that since Georgia had Ginny at fifteen years old, their relationship would be healthy considering their slim age gap, but this isn’t the case. Ginny and Georgia will always butt heads—Ginny is just trying to accept it.

Within Ginny & Georgia, there is a whirlwind of drama. Georgia starts dating the mayor, and Maxine’s twin brother—Marcus (Felix Mallard)—catches Ginny’s eye from across the street. Through this, numerous breakups, secrets, and suspicions arise. 

I enjoyed Ginny & Georgia, not only because of the plot, but the numerous life lessons incorporated within. Multiple times, one being on the first day of school, Ginny stands up to her AP English teacher after he continually made racist and sexist remarks. I love that the directors didn’t just make this a comedic, cute tv show, but actually molded in some importance as well. 

Ginny & Georgia is a series of reality, relationship-building, surprise, and relevance. It truly depicts what a high school student’s life could be like when transitioning from school to school, city to city, and friend group to friend group. Season one left me eager for more, as I’m dying to know what’s next in the Miller household.