From pirouettes to metaphors, Avery Jordan has thrived in her senior year

Kevin McPoland

Avery Jordan has been writing for The Central Trend since her sophomore year and has been Editor in Chief for the past year. She plans on pursuing journalism at Michigan State University.

With crackling embers and a darkening sky, senior Avery Jordan found herself far out of her comfort zone—standing in front of the entire class of 2022 as she found the words to deliver her own bonfire speech. 

This special occasion, in which students were given the chance to speak during their Senior Retreat, compelled Avery to share her words in front of her gathered peers. 

“We all sat around this huge bonfire, our whole class, after being at Camp Henry for hours when we [were] all exhausted,” Avery said. “Probably over half of our class went up there by themselves by the fire and said a speech to everybody. I ended up going up, which I never do. I hate public speaking and talking in front of a bunch of people, but I decided to go up, and I’m so glad I did.”

This courageous beginning only hinted at the opportunities that would present themselves to Avery in her final year of high school. Out of all the time spent at FHC, it was her graduating year that truly expanded her mindset and encompassed the unity in her class. 

Finally, it was Avery’s turn for a moment in the spotlight with leadership positions on both the FHC Varsity Dance team and The Central Trend.

“Before this year, I was just in the middle of everything,” Avery said. “I didn’t have any stand-out positions, so I’m so grateful that Mr. George gave me this opportunity and my dance coaches because it has taught me so much this year. With these positions, I feel so much more prepared to go out into the real world.”

In regards to dancing, Avery has been leaping and twirling through life ever since fourth grade. Her involvement from such a young age later precipitated her associations with Imprint Dance Company and becoming a captain of her school’s team.

Focusing on a variety of dance styles—including ballet, jazz, hip-hop, pom, and lyrical—her talent clearly displays her love for the sport, dedicating herself to practice nearly every day. Without fail, Avery’s commitment comes to fruition whenever she performs.

“Dancing in the studio in comparison to dancing on stage are two completely different feelings,” Avery said. “[When I’m dancing] in the studio, I’m focusing and thinking the whole time, and when I’m on stage, it’s so much fun. It’s the most fun I ever have, and I’m not worried about anything.”

Diverging from her prior paths of soccer and softball, dancing is where Avery seemed to twirl into place. However, there is another art form that can compete with Avery’s dance skills: writing. 

It was all new, and I fell in love with interviewing people, meeting new people, and learning more about them and their lives. Then the reward of posting it and sending it to them, hoping that they love it, is so awesome.

— Avery Jordan

Throughout school, English has always been her favorite core subject; with the help of The Central Trend, her writing has gone through a metamorphosis—from simply writing about day-to-day events to crafting gorgeous metaphors expressing her passions.

“I wrote about myself dancing then, but also now,” Avery said. “In my columns, something is always mentioned about dance in a metaphorical way. My relationship with dance has really progressed, so now when I write about dance, it’s not just telling the story of me going to practice and going to competitions. It’s deeper than that; it’s about how it makes me feel and comparing it to other things.”

With the countless articles published from the start of her sophomore year, elementary fantasy stories of talking cats were long lost in the storage of her computer. Over the past three years, Avery’s work for FHC’s school newspaper put her love for her craft to the test and inspired her to pursue journalism at Michigan State University this fall. 

“I loved getting the opportunity to be a published writer and write in all these different styles of writing,” Avery said. “It was all new, and I fell in love with interviewing people, meeting new people, and learning more about them and their lives. Then the reward of posting it and sending it to them, hoping that they love it, is so awesome.”

In addition, Avery’s final high school year provided another transformation for her writing. Avery embraced the role of Editor in Chief, and her “Dear senior year” editor’s columns made their eloquent appearance on the site. 

In many ways, her responsibilities as an editor contain so many aspects of a regular job, but despite the stress of publishing stories, organizing events, and creating a printed The Senior Edition, the job overall has been incredibly rewarding—discovering the personalities of others through their articles. 

“I love not only writing, but editing everyone’s work,” Avery said. “Before, when I wasn’t an editor and was just a staff writer, I would barely read what was put out by other people. But now, I read almost every story that goes out every day, which is so cool because I know everyone so much more even if I haven’t talked to them a lot.”

With Avery’s time in the halls of FHC, she is most grateful for the friendships she’s made in her senior year. From her dance team to fellow editors and staff in Room 139, Avery will always cherish the memories and bonds she created with the people around her.

“My senior year [has] been so different from all the other years,” Avery said. “I don’t know if it’s something about the unity of senior year and all of us coming together, but I know everyone now. Now, I say hi to people in the hallway and class that I had never talked to before. Events from senior year bring us all together.”