A celebration to beginnings

Lauren Brace

An image I took during the Transcendentalism unit of Honors English 10 that reminds me of hopeful beginnings

Everywhere, I am surrounded by goodbyes. The seniors are living through all their “lasts,” embracing this vital transition of graduation for all that it’s worth. On this site, the seniors have written their farewell columns laced with metaphors and words that simply need to be said. Now, I’m struck with the realization that just one year from now, I’ll be writing my goodbye column too.

This moment is too near in my own future for me to comprehend, for it feels like my words only just began their journey on this site. Even though I had wanted to join The Central Trend since my freshman year, it wasn’t until I was an upperclassman that my schedule allowed for this dream to become a reality. I have cherished this beginning: the beginning of my words and my stories blossoming on the site—published out to the community and lovely strangers who happen to stumble upon these paragraphs.

I just had my last band concert of the year. Unlike The Central Trend, my middle school self was unsure if I wanted to continue playing an instrument that I wasn’t fully passionate about. However, after so many tears and smiles from freshman year in band, I suddenly couldn’t imagine my high school years without such a wonderful community. 

Whether those minutes are filled with conversation or silence, they serve as a reminder that someone else is always there, taking the time to step in rhythm and beat together until it’s time to part into separate melodies.

— Lauren Brace

While that concert marked the end of so many memories, it also opened my eyes to the beginnings that await me. After a concert comes karaoke day, a time when my choir side is unleashed and everyone becomes their most exuberant selves. Looking just a few more months ahead, the next time I perform on the football field will be the start of my senior year. 

Every day is a beginning. Each morning, I’m comforted with an atmosphere surrounded by beautiful people. After too many days of pressing zoom links on computer screens, I’ve come to especially cherish the passing time between classes. I’m forever grateful for the friends who walk beside me, even if it’s just for two minutes. Whether those minutes are filled with conversation or silence, they serve as a reminder that someone else is always there, taking the time to step in rhythm and beat together until it’s time to part into separate melodies.

My beginnings in every extracurricular and class have transformed my outlook on life. They fill me with such anticipation and excitement despite my knowledge that all good things eventually come to an end. Although this adage speaks the truth, what it neglects to mention is that those good things often lead to even more magnificent beginnings. 

Even as my day turns to night and my head finally hits the pillow, it’s the beginning of another opportunity to dream big. In every week, every day, and every hour, anything is possible. It may not always be exciting, but at least there’s comfort in knowing that there will always be even more opportunities.

Coming up on my final year at FHC, I know that my “high school” beginnings are drawing to a close, but I have faith that those I have left to experience will be the best ones yet.