An all-encompassing guide to achieving the cozy autumn aesthetic

A collage of my fall so far, including various pumpkin spice lattes and fall scents.

It’s time.

Fall is sneaking out from under summer’s shadow, changing the leaves and changing the weather with every step she takes.

A breeze accompanies her movements, floating through the air, carrying comfort and warmth to those who need it most.

Those who are sick of sweating in summer’s heat, those who are tired of short sleeves, those who yearn for a change in the season and, with it, a change in their life.

If you feel described by the previous paragraph, I’m with you. August has passed us by, and September has arrived. Even so, fall’s symptoms will take their time; the leaves might still be green, but fall is a mindset. Autumn happens not when nature decides it does but when you do. Here’s some advice if you’re having trouble letting autumn fall upon you.

1. Utilize Pinterest

The amount of time I’ve spent scrolling through orange-and-yellow-hued images of leaves and coffee and sweaters is shamefully tremendous. I take my Pinterest account very seriously, and I make my seasonal boards private when it’s not that season. This year, fall aesthetics began taking over my feed in early August, if not late July, and I unarchived it earlier than I had planned. With pictures of pumpkin cookies and candle aisles eclipsing my vision, I felt the essence of autumn seizing my senses. If you’re struggling to fixate on fall, take a look at fall aesthetics on Pinterest, and you’ll be immediately enthralled.

With pictures of pumpkin cookies and candle aisles eclipsing my vision, I felt the essence of autumn seizing my senses.

2. Room decor

My room is my sanctuary, and in order to feel the ambiance of autumn in all of its wonder, I need to have the space around me embellished accordingly. The essential points of your room to focus on include blankets and pillows. Target is my favorite place to procure themed throw blankets; they’re soft and typically only ten dollars. As for pillows, I always find myself fawning over fall-themed Squishmallows. They’re adorable, soft, and huggable; they’re simply perfect. I have one on my bed at this moment that’s a pumpkin spice latte—her name is Delindy—and I feel joy every time I look at her in all her seasonal glory. 

3. Candles

If it smells like fall, then it is fall. I believe with my entire being that lighting a candle can solve all your problems. Watching the flickering flame, inhaling the fragrant scent, and suddenly, I’m transported to another realm. And, if you choose a fall scent, that realm becomes a path filled with fire-colored trees and crisp, cool air that leaves you refreshed but not cold. I’ve always been a fan of sweetly aromatic scents, and in these months, I lean toward variations of pumpkin and vanilla. Other options involve apple, cinnamon, or leaves. 

Properly adoring autumn means romanticizing every aspect possible, which means creating a corresponding aura in your life. It’ll be winter before we know it, so I plan to savor every last scrap of autumn while I can.