Even with conflict around femininity, girl’s girls will always stick together

Eva LaBeau
At senior sunrise, there is no other group I’d rather spend my time with.

I am a girl’s girl. 

By any and all means, I am a girl’s girl. 

There has been intense controversy regarding the “over-feminization” of certain bits of life, especially following the release of the Barbie movie recently.

Through it all, in most cases, girls are there for each other, and, in many ways, TikTok is to thank for that. Specifically, TikTok’s “girl’s girl” movement has fueled the beginning of a revolution of sorts: women worldwide have banded together and recognized the power that friendship between women can hold. The whole idea of being a “girl’s girl” serves as an antithesis to the “pick-me” persona, and it has brought people together in ways that were previously unimaginable in the age of corrupt technology and the relationships that come with it.

Being a girl’s girl isn’t believing that every single woman is infallible and can do no wrong, but rather, it’s the feeling of having an unspoken sense of understanding with every woman.

In August 2022, a TikTok user uploaded a video with Hozier’s “Would That I” playing behind a clip from the show Anne With An E—one of my personal favorites—in which Anne says, “Oh, how I love being a woman!”

Upon its first takeoff on the platform, the sound was used by creators to celebrate the beauty found in womanhood along with ironic sharings of the pitfalls in that same realm. The most recent trend installment was a raw, unfiltered display of people’s nightstands. 

Evidently, even messy nightstands have the potential to bring people together; there seems to be a universal sense of disarray in women’s bedside tables, and they all understand it.

This caused the floodgates to open; now, the sound has been used publicly by more than 155,000 people. Women all around the world have a specific place to display the amount of pride they can shamelessly hold in their own femininity. It’s a journey of womanhood being shared throughout the world.

In recent months, the amount of respect that women hold for other women has grown exponentially. The new Barbie movie prompted this in a way that no other film of the generation—or perhaps ever—has managed to do. People have begun to appreciate the whole path of girlhood, womanhood, and motherhood in an entirely new light, using clips to showcase the genuine love and happiness that they hold. Generally, these are played over Billie Eilish’s “What Was I Made For?” in reference to the iconic “take my hand” scene in Barbie.

Along with this, the prominence of a universal sense of humor has also grown. So came the “girl dinner” trend and the “somewhere in Barbieland” trend amongst many others.

There’s something to be said about the idea of two or more women being fully able to express themselves together in an entirely unbiased way, and that is something being seen more and more frequently. 

Being a girl’s girl isn’t believing that every single woman is infallible and can do no wrong, but rather, it’s the feeling of having an unspoken sense of understanding with every woman. It’s walking up to a random girl in a public place who looks uncomfortable and pretending to be her friend who had been looking for her. It’s commenting on Instagram posts and complimenting each other regardless of how little you know about one another.

My best friend and I just celebrated the 12-year anniversary of the day we became friends; we were two girl’s girls who happened to find each other on the first day of kindergarten, and that is a beautiful thing. 

Especially when it comes to my girls, I am and always will be a girl’s girl.