TCT’s The Countless Thanks 2023: Eva LaBeau

I’d like to start off by saying that every person in my life has given me something to be grateful for. I have so much love for everybody I have the honor of being able to know, and that is something I cherish more than one could know. Now, for the specifics.

To those who raised me:

Mom, you have given so much for me. You have remained one of my biggest supporters through everything. You publicize almost every story I write. You talk me up to your coworkers, and, while it serves as an ego boost for me, I’m beyond overjoyed that you’re proud of me in a way that you want people to know my achievements. You’ve watched me grow, and you’ve done the most amazing job a mother could do over the past 17 years. I love the way you can’t say certain words, and I love the way you make up your own words for songs when they get too depressing or you forget the real words. Every single bit of love housed naturally and innately in your personality has guided me into the person I am right now. Even though I’m the third child and I’m so much younger than my sisters, you have never been short of loving me just as much as them. You never don’t have enough love for me, even when I exhaust you by showing you TikToks of otters or sea lions, because you show me TikToks of old people dancing or dogs being strange. You are the best mother I could ever ask for. You’re the best wife that Dad could ask for. You’re the best Grams the boys could ask for. Realistically, whatever your role in anybody’s life, you’re the best they could ask for. You’re my favorite earthling, Dawn.

Dad, you are the best artist I’ve seen. Not just in your physical art, though your paintings are beautiful, but the way your mind works is fascinating. You made me an artist. You exposed me to the world of drawing and painting and writing. You say I’m more talented than you are, but you’re the source of any talent I have. Talent comes from passion, and you taught me that. There’s nobody else I’d rather spend my time with at four o’clock in the morning having deep conversations about life. You have so much love in you and you have such a unique way of showing it to us every day. You watch a soap opera for us. That, in and of itself, is crazy to me. You always offer food in the mornings, even if there’s only a bit left because you want us to have the ability if we want any. You make fun of us, and we make fun of you. We wouldn’t recognize each other if we didn’t. You are the best father I could ever ask for, Jonny Boy. It’s an overdone statement, but it’s true. “If we do nothing else with this life we are given, we live with a certain purpose if we love sincerely and allow others’ love a place in us…”

Brenda, don’t think I wouldn’t include you in this. You’ve always been a second mother for my sisters and me. You have never failed to make me laugh with some weird joke or stupid meme from Facebook. The dog TikToks we send each other makes my day every time. You’re possibly the funniest person I know, but you’re more than that. You’re so incredibly feeling and amazingly caring about everybody. There have been a couple of times when we’ve been on the phone and simply cried because life gets hard. You always make me remember my worth and my potential in this life, but I want to do the same for you: you are so incredibly beautiful, inside and out. You’re human, and sometimes you don’t see your full worth. It happens to everybody. Brenda, you are so worthy of all of the love in the world. Please never forget that.

Kylie, you’re not on this list because of the numerous times I’ve accidentally called you “Mom,” though I know you love to rub it in that it’s happened. I want you to know that I have learned so much from you. I could go on and on, but I’ve already written a column about that and, frankly, you already know everything I want you to know. Every letter you wrote me is safe and tucked away in a special place, aside from the few letters that remind me of what I need to be reminded of, which are up on my headboard. Aside from the poop jokes and immature things we’d do together, much of my childhood was made up of my favorite memories with you. Soon enough, you’ll be married, and I can only hope that it doesn’t pull us apart. I love you, and I love Max, and I love Winslow and Kahlo. Also, you should answer your texts more; it makes Mom nervous when you don’t.

Grandma Sandy, Auntie Jean, Grandma Spooner, and the other beautiful souls that were taken from me, You all have been some of my greatest forces of motivation in my life. I just want to make you proud. Grandma Sandy, I wear your necklaces and clothes all the time. Auntie Jean, I carry Carmex with me since it was your go-to for any issue. Grandma Spooner, I have all of your trinkets up where I can see them, and I use your robe every night as a blanket. I haven’t forgotten about any of you, and I never will.

To those who’ve stuck by me:

Alysse, you’re the cutest human. Walking into sixth hour every day and knowing that you’re going to be there for me to gossip with and talk about the most random things makes me so happy. Your outfits are always perfect, and you’re such a bright soul. I’m so glad we’ve gotten closer over the past two years, and I hope our friendship continues for a long time. You’re absolutely hilarious, and I don’t know how anybody could not love you.

Kaiden, your music taste was slightly offputting at first, but I’ve gotten over it. All jokes aside, you make me so happy. You’re so strange and you’re so funny, and I’m very very lucky to have you in my life. It means the world to me that you’re willing to watch my comfort movies and TV shows with me, even though I talk through them since I know every word and feel the need to recite them. Thank you, Kaiden James.

Katie, I met your dad long before I met you. I’d never thought we would be as close as we are, but I’m so glad we are. I love you so much, in spite of your idiosyncrasies and weird habits that nobody else has. I know nobody else who sleeps face-down, buried in a pile of blankets and pillows–aside from me, occasionally. We’ve been through some crazy things together, and I wouldn’t change that for the world. I love you, you strange, beautiful human.

Nat, I met you when you were in eighth grade. I cannot express how much you mean to me, and I hope you never forget that. I don’t have a single memory with you that’s not full of love; we never fight, and I really hope we keep it that way. You are one of the most beautiful people I know and I’m so proud of how far you’ve come. I love thrifting and listening to music with you and I love you, Nattybraps.

Megan, we met in fifth grade. While I’d like to forget about most aspects of that era, I never want to forget you. I wouldn’t have thought that you and I would end up where we are, but I’m so glad we did. I’m sorry there have been things we don’t see eye to eye on. That breaks my heart. Regardless of opinions on certain matters, I love you more than you could know.

Meghan, you are one of the most calmly hilarious people I know. You’re so beautiful, and you’re so laid back in public, but the way you can be so obnoxiously funny while keeping a mostly straight face amazes me. I’m sorry we haven’t hung out more often, and I’m sorry we’re not as close as we could be, but that’s what college is for. I love you, Megh.

Lily Ann, we’ve known each other since kindergarten. 12 years later, you are one of my favorite humans in the entire world. You’re my invisible string. We’ve watched each other grow up during every phase of our lives from afar until we came together again. I’m so beyond glad that I have you in my life. You are so unbelievably strong, and I would do anything for you. You have been through so much, but you’ve come back so graciously and I admire that more than you know. Everything you do makes me so incredibly proud to be your best friend, and I hope that never changes. I will never not love you to the moon and to Saturn, my BFF Forever.

To those who have taught me more than just in the classroom:

Mr. George, you are one of the most genuine souls I’ve ever met. I think it’s safe to say that things in Room 139 aren’t always super serious, but I really appreciate the years I’ve spent here. Maybe it’s just because you knew my sister from before me, or maybe it’s because you like my super cool parents, but I have always felt welcome in the classroom and I appreciate that more than you know.

Mrs. Anderson, I have spent more days before and after school in your room than any other room in the building, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. You knew my sister, but you’ve also become one of my favorite people to talk to during the day. I appreciate the amount of time and opportunities you’ve given me and the girls so much. You are such a bright soul and I hope you never forget that. I’ll get you another Midnight MilkyWay the next time I see one.

Mr. Scholten, I appreciate how kind you always are to everybody. If I’m having a stressful day, you always tend to make it a bit less stressful just by making such a welcoming classroom. You’ve always been so sweet to my parents, my sister when she went here, and I, and we all appreciate it more than you know. Plus, you called me an expert following cat dissections, so I think that was pretty nice.

And to everybody else in my life:

Regardless of whether your name is in this, I can guarantee I appreciate you beyond words. Thank you to everybody that I have had the pleasure of knowing thus far in my life. I love you all–for some reason or another–beyond words can express.

View Comments (1)
Eva LaBeau
Eva LaBeau, Publicity Managing Editor
Eva LaBeau is a senior entering her second year on The Central Trend. She takes on everything she does with great passion, specifically when relating to her hobbies and academics. Whenever she can, she writes or draws whatever is on her mind. Raised by an artist and an avid music fanatic, Eva listens to music and loves to create art of all forms every chance she gets. Realistically, anybody could likely say that her 340-hour (and still growing) primary playlist is one of the most convoluted out there. Aside from her art, Eva spends as much time as she can with her family and friends, and she never hesitates to let them know just how much she appreciates them. Being a part of the community housed in Room 139 will forever be an unmatched feeling to her, and she'll forever love the beautiful people she has met and continues to meet along her journey thus far. Hopefully, her senior year at FHC will be the best one yet, and she wouldn't want to take it on with any other people. Favorite color: sage green or warm tan Favorite mascara combo: L'Oreal Telescopic Lift in Blackest Black and Morphe Make It Big in Bold Black Car: 2012 Ford Escape named Harvey (Very) irrational fears: velvet, people taller than 6'7", 2-door cars, and bodybuilders, among others.

• D

DemarcusNov 22, 2023 at 11:58 pm

Brilliant 🙏

Reply