Dear Diary: I found serenity

A+picture+of+my+friend+and+I+hiking+in+New+Mexico+
A picture of my friend and I hiking in New Mexico

She walks through the constant dullness of a chaotic world. 

Standing in the center of crowded streets, surrounded by the constant movement of those around her, she does not know where she is or where to go. Reaching for what she once knew, only to find what she’s reaching for no longer exists where she currently stands. She looks around only to find what she already knows: she is lost. 

She is trapped in a constant search for something new as everything around her is all the same; something beyond the world she’s living in as she is consumed by a vast feeling of misplacement. 

Only, what she desires to find cannot be obtained where she currently resides. 

She’s in search of a feeling—a feeling of herself—one far beyond her constant state. As she closes her eyes, she paints the life she’s longing to live. 

The crisp coolness of the air cascades through her hair as the rays of the sun paint a natural blush against her delicate skin. The brightness of the sky blinds her as she gets closer, and the ground beneath her seems smoother as she climbs further. The dull hue around her shifts to something brightening, and the chaos surrounding her fades as the walls of the world open up to her. 

She finds serenity. 

The dull hue around her shifts to something brightening, and the chaos surrounding her fades as the walls of the world open up to her.

She finds serenity in the beautiful sight of something new. Something beyond the vast dullness of the world she has been living in. As she walks atop the rocks beneath her, filling her shoes with dirt and dust, her world shifts. She was once surrounded by the dreariness of weight the world brings, but now, she is overwhelmed by the perfectly painted colors of it. The beaming blue from the sky above reflects on the lush shades of green the trees hold against the warming brown of the ground they stand on.  

Looking down, she stands high above the ground. Although she fears falling from unimaginable heights, standing on the shifting rocks does not scare her. The view of everything beneath her opens her mind to a world beyond what she has been living. She was once lost in a world of motion, but now, the only moving thing that matters is her against the wind as she sees more and more. 

As she breathes in the freshness of this new and unimaginable sight, her lungs settle as her breath eases, and her soul is filled with the purity this new feeling of serenity has presented her with. She’s learned to move freely and away from what caused her to once feel misplaced, and with this, she has found an escape from the dullness of the chaos around her. 

She opens her eyes, and although it is a blissful moment of reliving what she already has, she has found herself most in a place beyond where she currently is.