When on the search for acne skincare, these products have proven themselves efficient

Lily Bouma
The products that I apply morning and night.

Ever since I can remember, I have suffered with horrible skin. For years I have tried to find a way to make it not as bad, and I only recently figured out a near solution.

As pushed by many people on TikTok, double-cleansing is a staple, especially since I love wearing makeup. Really any cleansing balm will work, as long as it helps the skin. Currently, I am using the Elf Holy Hydration! Makeup Cleansing Balm. As the name suggests, it completely melted the—what it felt like—pounds of makeup on my face for the musical, while cleansing the pores and leaving my skin feeling refreshed. 

After the balm, I then go in with a simple cleanser: La Roche Posay Toleriane Purifying Foaming Facial Wash. Not only does this face wash cleanse the face like nothing I’ve used before, but it is so gentle on the skin, especially for those with sensitive skin like myself. The only downside to this cleanser is that it doesn’t smell the best, in my opinion, but it isn’t bad enough to cancel out the numerous positive attributes of the product. This, like the Elf cleansing balm, leaves the skin moisturized and rejuvenated after use.

Although it is a prescription, my next step is Clindamycin 1% acne wipes. This product has been a staple in my routine since my freshman year of high school, and I have definitely noticed a difference with each use. The smell similar to rubbing alcohol is slightly off-putting, and I always have to make sure to wipe my hands off before touching my eyes. Though those facts are inconvenient for use, I can’t deny the wipe’s ability to do exactly what they are meant to.

My next product is a hit or miss for some people, TikTok creators seem to have their own opinions on the credibility of the product. For a toner, I like to use the Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow PHA+BHA Pore-Tight Toner. The thing I love most about this product is that it doesn’t dry out the skin like most other toners I’ve used. Instead, it gives off a more moisturizing feeling on the skin, which is most likely due to the somewhat slimy texture of the product. In my opinion, this is a great toner for those with drier skin, as it is quite moisturizing.

The Ordinary Caffeine Solution 5% has remained in every routine I’ve gone through, it is a perfect de-puffer for the under eyes. There isn’t much to say about it besides the fact that it has always seemed to get the job done when I’m looking extra tired in the morning.

I have horrible acne, and these are the products that have helped me combat those issues.

These next two products, which I use in combination with each other, have also been in most of my routines for skincare. The mixture of the Bubble Level Up Balancing Moisturizer and The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% has shown major improvements in the appearance of my skin. In order to combat the more harsh feeling of the hyaluronic acid, I decided to mix it with the moisturizer, which also showed effectiveness in the longevity of both products. The acid helped with the genetic rosacea I have, canceling out the redness in my skin. Both products feel amazing on the skin, and I can always tell the difference if I do or don’t use them.

Yet again is another serum from The Ordinary: the Niacinamide 10%. Although I don’t know exactly what it does, I can feel a significant difference in my skin since I’ve started using it. The product, once again, adds moisture to my skin, which I love as someone with drier skin. 

The last product that is used in both morning and night is The Inkey List Omega Water Cream. This is another product that I have been using for a while, being a suggestion from my sister. What I love most about it is the thinness of it, which is something I wouldn’t have expected to be my favorite factor. Although it is quite thin, not a lot of product is needed to cover the whole face, once again adding to the longevity of the product. The “water” part in its name definitely shows, being a light and moisturizing product. 

Arguably the most important part of any skincare routine is the sunscreen I use in the morning. While I have tried out many different sunscreen products, one has stuck out the most as being both protective and moisturizing: Innisfree Daily UV Defense Sunscreen. I love that this sunscreen doesn’t necessarily feel like a sunscreen, more like a third moisturizer in my routine. It gives off no white cast and doesn’t have the stereotypical sunscreen-like smell that most have. It has SPF 36, which is pretty good for a facial sunscreen product, making me feel extra protected during the sunny summer days.

While there might be many products in this routine of mine, they are all quite reasonably priced and work a significant amount for my skin type. They also are all very moisturizing, which I love very much due to the dryness of Michigan winter months.

So, if anyone reading this is on the search for very moisturizing, and acne-safe, products, this long list has proved effective in my personal experience.